Chapter 35 - Dirty Money - R.I.P

Start from the beginning

            “Not really our year,” Mike said.

            “We can’t afford to keep going backwards,” Albert said.

            “It’ll pick back up. It always does and once this construction starts things will already start to change,” Mike said, reassuringly.

            “I hope so,” Albert said, as Mike disappeared back inside to fetch the coffee.

            He looked down at the car park he had built and tried to think of what it was all for. There were no children, his parents were both dead, he was not married, friends killed over the years, and now his brother was going back to jail for getting back into the family. Everything he ever wanted was his but there was no legacy. If he died would anyone remember his name? Tanya would grieve and eventually move on. Alonzo would be in jail, Carlos would be left to fight with their rivals and all the businesses would eventually change names and ownership.

            Albert felt nauseas sitting in the cushioned outdoor chair, he closed his eyes and tried to breathe as calm as possible. “Coffee.”

            Rai stood on the higher ground over looking Michael’s warehouse; flanked by his three bodyguards as the rain hammered down sending the targets undercover. The perfect opportunity for him to send the van in was at last present. The Korean second in command peered through a small pair of binoculars, he scanned the tall tower built inside the yard where he knew two snipers normally lay in wait, but on this stormy day they had retreated inside.

            “Guards retreating from the weather, I take it Michael is not here today,” Rai said, to no one in particular.

            One of his bodyguards shadowed him close; holding an umbrella protecting Rai from the wet weather. The boss walked carefully down a small dirt pile where a white van sat waiting for orders. It was the same day Michael’s delivery came just a little earlier. The boss Bok was in the passenger seat along with a driver he wound the window down a little as Rai approached.

            “Ready?” Rai asked.

            “Ready?” Bok repeated over his shoulder.

            From outside Rai heard the cocking of a dozen machine guns. Bok nodded. Rai tapped the van and the lights flicked on as it came to life and slowly began its descent down to the warehouse entry.

            Rai turned to the two of his bodyguards in ponchos not holding umbrellas, “You two, get ready.” The two men quickly ran to two empty getaway cars waiting nearby.

            He moved to a position where he could just make out everything below through the rain. Rai faintly heard the continuous van beeping and after a few moments through the binoculars he saw the large gates opening. The white van progressed through and came to a halt near the warehouse entrance. He saw two muzzle flashes and the gate openers slump to the ground as Bok quickly got out and opened the sliding door to the van.

            Twelve heavily armed Korean’s stormed through the warehouse and a series of flashes and pops were heard, slightly camouflaged by the thunder and lightening. The two getaway cars quickly approached the warehouse; where the flashes and bangs had slowed down to random shots, which meant executions were being carried out.

            The front warehouse door flew open as the getaway cars both turned around and reversed backwards. Armed men ran out with heavy bags slung around their shoulders. Both bodyguards popped the boots of the cars open and they were quickly filled with bags of drugs. Once full the armed men tapped the back of the cars to leave. It was done.