Sarah - On House and Home

Dedicated to AnnieAllusion for the pure loveliness of her comment today, and for her amazing writing. :)

Check out: Once a Lady.

...................

Sarah - On House and Home

The brakes squealed and the inertia of the moving bus threw our bodies forward. Well, my body. I was alone now, just as I always knew I should be. How always knew I would be. I would do well to remember that.

Mark had left.

Finally.

The sky was a purple grey streaked with sunburn as I climbed down the sticky steps of the bus, the last pirouettes of sunset. Though I knew my only thoughts should be going towards seeing my own house, towards seeing those harsh orange bricks surrounded by barren apple trees, there was only one family I wanted to see right then.

Tia.

In my sleep and nutrient deprived state, I made my way to the Holmes household, trudging the two kilometres slowly at first, and then at an ever increasing pace. The last hundred metres I sprinted, the face envisioned in my head more clear and warm then it ever had been.

TIA! The voice inside my head was screaming for her now, screaming for my best friend of nine years, yearning for her bright grey eyes and for the hope she was always sure to make me feel. A grin larger than anything I'd ever experienced before broke out upon my red, sweating face.

Looking up at the whitewashed house with the bright blue shutters, I squealed and laughed in delight as I hurled my body onto the dewy green grass, for once the pain welcome and gleeful. The crickets sounded and rather than annoyance, my head and heart were filled with ecstasy. The warm yellow light spilling from the top right corner was all I needed.

Finally.

I was home.

~*~

It was like a terrible 80's montage I decided, as I picked up a lone loose pebble from the road and hurled it towards T's window. I was still laughing as I did so, though my throat had long before become hoarse. Sure, I could have simply located the spare key, the one that was hidden under the slim gnome with the red hat, and let myself in. The montage remained justified, however. There was simply too much happiness to keep it all in. Training once a week and the ridiculous idea of transforming into a chess piece no longer seemed so terrible. I could do it, here, with my friends.

At that, I scowled slightly.

Those of which hadn't left out of cowardly fear, that is.

Bastard.

I shook my head, ridding myself of such traitorous thoughts. It was a time for jubilation, and what everything all came down to was pretty simple.

I was over him.

Fortunately enough, my aim with the rock was true, and I was soon rewarded (and distracted) with a solid clunk from Tia's window. My coordination had improved. Huh... Apparently, being a chess piece was a job with benefits.

A few minutes passed, and I was just about to throw another stone when Tia finally came to the window. She paused at the sill, sighing heavily and looking around her yard. Her eyes passed over me and a moment later she shook her head and turned around once again, seemingly disappointed. The emotion transferred. Why didn't she want to see m-

Tia froze and moved faster than I had ever seen as she rushed back towards the window. Her body was suddenly full of energy and she whipped the heavy window up as though it weighed nothing. Her eyes big, she searched around the yard once again, this time coming to an almost disbelieving rest upon me. Tia grinned.