CHAPTER 36

Ethan Hales

Everyone had noticed there was something wrong with me.

Jonathan started to be his overprotective-self again, asking a million questions and receiving no answers. My parents worked too much to realize something was bothering me. My sisters were barely home; always with some friends, but even Casey noticed and asked if everything was alright. I told her it was. Will had caught up to the fact that what bothering me was related to Kaden. I told him it wouldn't work locking us somewhere to discuss about it like he already did once, and pleaded for him not to do it again.

I was so confused. I tried to make things have any sort of sense inside my mind, but I couldn't fit the puzzles together. Kaden had an older brother he never told me about. He was kicked out from his school for aggressive behaviour. He injured his brother and left him unconscious. He was distant when I asked him about his car, if he had any siblings, when I didn't take Jonathan's call immediately the day we kissed. He was hiding things from me and he didn't want to share it. Kaden was pushing me away, and I had to suffer not only for his absence, but for the lack of answers.

I was feeling tired, because I tried to work everything out inside my mind, but I was left with no direction to take. I was also feeling worried about Kaden, since he seemed exhausted and stressed just like me. And I was concerned about our relationship, because I didn't know how to talk to him anymore. So many bad emotions left me feeling lost once again.

"We can skip class if you want" Jonathan said "You don't really look like in the mood to listen to Mr Anderson talk about World War II"

"I'm fine" I grumbled, grabbing the books I needed to my history class "I don't need to skip class to feel better"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Jon, I'm sure" I replied "Can you go talk to Melisa now? I can see her staring at you since we got to the hallway" I indicated her figure on the other side of the hallway with my head.

"No," He answered "I will stay with you as long as you need me. Melisa can wait"

"I bet her homophobic ass needs you more than I do" I mumbled to myself.

"What?" He asked; not having heard me.

"Nothing" I sighed "There's only ten minutes until class starts, Jon. You can go talk to her, I'll be just fine"

He pursed his lips; his brows furrowed in a thoughtful expression.

"Okay" He gave in "I'll see you during break, alright?"

"Alright" I nodded once.

Jonathan stood still for a few seconds before finally walking away to talk to Melisa. I had already finished getting whatever I needed from my locker, but I didn't feel like talking to anyone, so I just kept moving books inside my locker to pretend I was doing something and not stand awkwardly in the middle of the hallway.

My head was basically inside my locker, as if that would make no one see me and come talk to me. All of my friends knew where my locker was, so they could still talk to me if they wanted to, but at least I had the false sensation of being hidden away from the rest of the school.

"Ethan"

My hands stopped moving by the sound of the familiar voice calling my name. I stood still for a moment before slowly getting my head out of my locker and turning my head to see a pair of violet eyes staring deeply into my soul. Kaden looked nervous, just like he was yesterday when he tried to talk to me, but his restlessness was more visible this time. I could tell this just by looking in his eyes.