CHAPTER 20

It was night and I ran on the streets like there was no tomorrow, no minute after. I knew Kaden would stay until late at school today because he had a physics project to do with two kids that were in his class. So I ran, hoping I would get to school and he wouldn't have left yet. I couldn't wait to talk to him until tomorrow. I needed to do this now.

When I reached school, I was panting, but I didn't let myself stop. Library. People do their projects in the library. I ran down the halls, seeing no one around me. Please, don't be gone yet. My legs were aching by running so much, but I ignored the pain as I continued on rushing towards the library.

I turned the corner of the hall, and stopped in my heels when my eyes caught someone that always caught my attention, didn't matter when or where.

"Ethan?" Kaden asked, like he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

Kaden was holding his bag by the strap, and apparently he had just left the library, but there was no one with him. He had his eyebrows furrowed, completely confused about what I was doing there late at night.

Seeing him and hearing him saying my name made a flood of emotions in my heart, and I didn't let myself think before running to him and launching myself in his arms, hugging him like he was my whole world.

He stumbled backwards at my sudden movement, but managed to hug me back just as tight.

"I'm sorry, Kaden" I cried "I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm so, so sorry"

"You didn't hurt me" He said softly and caressed my blond locks.

"I did" I pulled back slightly to look at him in the eyes "I wasn't drinking that night because we kissed. I didn't kiss that girl because we kissed. I don't even know that girl, she kissed me out of nowhere and I was too drunk to even think, but I didn't want to kiss her. I pulled away as soon as my drunk brain processed what was happening. I'm sorry. I-I don't want to kiss anyone but you, Kaden" I let out everything that crossed my mind. Everything that crossed my heart.

Kaden looked at me intently, and once more I felt like he could see deep in my soul. He cupped my face in his hands, rubbing his thumbs over my skin.

"I didn't care about the girl" He whispered "I mean, of course I didn't feel great about seeing you kiss another person, but... I cared that you were drunk. I don't want to see you drinking to deal with your problems, because that never ends well. And if I'm the one who brings you your problems, then I prefer to not be around you anymore"

I shook my head desperately.

"You don't bring me problems, Kaden" I promised "I drank that night because..." My words got lost in the air, but I took a deep breath. I needed to tell him this if I wanted to be with him "I drank because my mom said she would kick me out if I were gay" He stopped rubbing my skin and his lips parted slightly at my words.

"How-"

"She was offending gay people when saw a picture of Will's cousin in his wedding, and when I defended them, she got furious and said that, if I were gay, I wouldn't be welcome in my house anymore. I wouldn't be welcome in... in my family anymore" My gaze fell to my feet when I touched a sensitive point of my heart.   

We stayed in silence for a few moments, both of us not knowing what to say next. I could see Kaden was looking at the wall, searching something in his brain to say, but he didn't know how to comfort me in this situation.

"But I don't want to stop being me by fear" I whispered, making Kaden's gaze be back at me "I don't want to stop being around you by fear" I continued "I'm happy with you. You make me happy"