CHAPTER 27

If there was a word that could describe that night, was awkward. I was using that word a lot today. Maybe I should start thinking about synonyms: odd, strange, offbeat. They would all fit in that situation.

Not even me or Kaden were talking to our friends, and, for the first time in my life, I thanked for them drinking, because then they wouldn't notice the odd atmosphere.

They weren't drunk, though; they're just drinking some beers and chilling. We were sitting around a round table, playing cards while the TV showed a football game, with beer and snacks around us. Will's parents weren't home, so the guys didn't mind drinking and being loud. And they were very loud. It seemed like they forgot how to talk, and now were just screaming at each other.

I was playing cards with them, but I didn't even know who was winning. Honestly, I didn't even know what I was doing. I was just copying what the other guys were doing and hoping I wouldn't embarrass myself, what was my nature.

Kaden and I avoided each other's gaze, the tension thick between us. Everything went downhill way too fast; I could barely keep up. I wished I could ask someone for advice. But who? My mother? No way in hell. My father? Nope. My brother? No chance. My sisters? Only in my dreams. Mason? Maybe. Will? Yeah, perhaps.

There wasn't much I could do in front of our friends, though. Even if it was just me and Kaden, I wouldn't know what to do. I didn't know if I should do something. The chances of him not wanting anything serious with me and me sounding like a crazy person obsessed with him were high. I had never gone through this kind of problem before. I've never thought I would go through this one day.

"Try to look like you're not dying" Will whispered to me.

"I'm not dying" I retorted with my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Will rolled his eyes.

"I know you're not, dumbass. But your face is emotionless and you're not uttering a word. You seem like a robot!" He hissed "You and Kaden. Both miserable. I don't know what you two did this time to ruin my OTP once again, but I swear to fucking God-"

"Not now" I said by gritted teeth. It wasn't the time nor the place to talk about anything that was related to my sexuality or Kaden's.

"I always have to do all the work" Will muttered to himself.

I furrowed my brows even more and was about to ask what he was talking about, when he stood up abruptly, making all eyes fall on him.

My eyes widened in despair, not knowing what stupid thing my best friend was about to do right now.

"Ethan. Kaden." He looked at each one of us.

Don't you dare say something stupid, Will. Don't you dare. I'll never look at your face ever again if you out us here and now. Don't you fucking dare. I tried to pass all those messages by just glaring at him.

Despite my threatening expression, I was already feeling my heart beating hard against my chest, and my hands starting to sweat.

"Will you guys help me getting more beer?" He pointed towards his kitchen.

I almost sighed in relief, relaxing on my chair when I realized we were safe. My relief didn't last long, though; my body stiffening when my brain processed Will's words and I understood that he was trying to make Kaden and I talk. I didn't know if I was ready to have any serious talk. Better yet, I knew I wasn't ready to.

"Um... Why don't you ask Francis to go?" I indicated Francis with my head.

Will's look told me he wanted to slap me.