CHAPTER 43

I was going to take Kaden on a date today, to celebrate his birthday.

Well, he didn't know my intention was to celebrate his birthday, but he would understand it in the middle of it.

I had bought him two gifts. Once I realized he had a disco-player in his room, I searched for a vinyl disc of Elvis Presley, his favorite singer, for me to buy. The other gift I had bought was a miniature from his car. I managed to find one of the exact same color of his Ford, what made me extremely happy. One of the gifts was for his birthday while the other was a Christmas gift.

During the drive to his house, I listened to the CD he had made me. There were some songs that I didn't know why he had chosen to add, but as I listened to the lyrics, I understood it more and more. My favourite was 'Fire on Fire', along with 'Can't take my eyes off of you'. The first was my favourite because it described how I felt about us since the beginning until now, and the second was my favourite because of the memory it reminded me.

'Dusk Till Dawn' was playing when I pulled over Kaden's house. I called him to let him know I was already there, and in less than a minute he was inside my car. His hair was wet and he smelled nice, indicating he had just taken a shower.

"Hi" I greeted him happily, leaning over to give him a quick peck on the lips.

"Hey, baby" He smiled at me.

I didn't give him the gifts right away. I wanted to do that later. Instead, I listened to him talk about the dream he had that night. We made small talk while listening to the CD he had gave me until we got to our date spot.

I took him to a restaurant where the cookers were famous by cooking the best lasagne. It was his favorite food, so I wanted to take him to have lunch in a place that they served that. Plus, we had a view to the beach from there, the place of our first kiss. So it was the perfect spot for a date.

Kaden was happy with the place I chose, so that made me happy too. I hadn't screwed up about the place, at least. We had a nice lunch, enjoying the view while sharing stories about our lives. Kaden was talking a lot more about his childhood, and it was because he had already told me about Charlie, so he didn't have anything to hide anymore.

It was great listening to Kaden tell stories about his brother with a smile on his face. I was pleased that he didn't associate all his memories with his twin to sadness. When we asked for the dessert, my nerves kicked in.

That's because I had called to the restaurant before making this reservation to tell it was my boyfriend's birthday. So the waiters were going to bring a cake with a candle for him to blow and a 'Happy Birthday Kaden' written on it. I knew that Kaden didn't like to celebrate his birthday, but I wanted to make the date not be a sad thing for him anymore. I knew I shouldn't do something major, like a party, so I settled for something simple like a cake when it was just the two of us.

Though, when I asked for the dessert, I started to question if I wasn't doing something insensitive that would leave my boyfriend upset. I was torn between letting the waiters bring the cake or stand up, go the kitchen and ask for them to cancel everything.

My legs bobbed up and down in nervousness while I smiled nervously at what Kaden was talking about, though I wasn't paying that much attention to whatever that was leaving his mouth.

Kaden even noticed my discomfort, because he asked if I was okay and if I was feeling sick. I told him I was scared that I had messed up, but he didn't have the time to question me about it as the cake arrived, together with five waiters singing happy birthday.

Kaden's brows shot up at the burning candle in front of him, and when he looked at me I could see the question mark written on his face. I offered him a weak smile as I clapped along with the waiters. When I started to sing happy birthday, Kaden's confusion intensified as he mouthed 'It's not my birthday' to me. I wanted to slap him for being so slow. Maybe that would make his brain work.