CHAPTER 40

The drive to the cottage took almost four hours.

The car wasn't big enough for our whole family and our bags, so we used two cars. My parents and the twins were in one, while my brothers and I were in the other. Even with Brian trying to find out every single detail about our lives, the trip was pleasant. Especially because of the tall pine trees that decorated the road and filtered the sunlight, giving the ride a peaceful atmosphere.

I had been to my uncle's cottage only once when I was seven years old, so I didn't remember much of it. When I got there, though, I started to remember things.

The house in particular was small, made of grey rocks (but in different tones and sizes). The special thing about the place was the big field surrounding the house. There were a lot of trees, flowers, and even a small lake. It was perfect for when you wanted to spend some time alone with your thoughts and you wanted to harmonize with the nature and yourself. I wouldn't be able to do that, though, because my family was there with me.

I tried to spend most of my time with my family, so I wouldn't check my phone that often. When I did, it was so I could chat a little with Will about random things or answer the memes he had sent me. I also replied some messages on the group chat of our friends.

Most of the time I spent on my phone, however, I was talking to Kaden. I sent him some pictures of the cottage, told him what I was doing, shared some stupid thing one of my siblings had said, and talked about his day. I found out I was able to miss him even if I had seen him only some days ago. And, despite loving spending time with my family, I caught myself looking down at the promise ring Kaden gave me from time to time.

I was having a lot more fun than I had expected. It was nice to spend time with my family. When we got there, Brian had the idea of us playing football, since he had also played when he was in high school. So, we spent the rest of the afternoon playing. Brian, Dad, Jonathan, Casey and me. Allie was the only one who didn't want to play, but she sat nearby with her book, and sometimes glanced at our game to watch it a little. Well, Mom also didn't want to play. She kept complaining about how someone could easily get hurt and then we would have to cancel the trip, but no one cared and we still played it.

We also played cards. This time, all of us joined the game. Brian won most of the times, but everyone was accusing him of cheating. He claimed that he was innocent, but I doubted that. Brian was a cheater; he did anything to win. That wasn't great news, since Allie and I were really competitive. So, you can guess how this game ended. Allie, Brian and I having a major fight, Casey laughing at us, Jonathan looking like he wanted to disappear, Dad just chilling and watching us kill each other, and Mom cancelling the game because 'we didn't know how to play'.

Allie then insisted for all of us to play hide and seek. Jonathan groaned and said it was a kid's game, but we all disagreed with him. I liked playing hide and seek; call me a child if you want. After all, the place was huge. It was meant to play hide and seek.

I always hid with one sibling. When I hid with Casey, she told us to scare Allie when she was about to find us, which we did. Our sister almost had a heart attack, but it was worth it. When I hid with Brian, he pushed me in Allie's direction so I was the only one who was found. And when I hid with Jonathan, he actually saved us from being caught. As you can guess, Brian was the one I least liked.

There was one night when everyone was already asleep, and Casey woke Allie, Brian and I so we could prank Jonathan and scare him.

Casey knew how to be evil, but we agreed with everything. For our prank, Allie dressed up as... I don't even know what that was. She put a black cape that we found in an old closet around her body, a black cloth above her head, and hid inside the closet that was in front of Jonathan's bed. Meanwhile, Brian was behind the door, filming everything. Casey was hidden in the closet with Allie. And I was under his bed. Casey started to play an horror music inside the closet, waking Jonathan up. Then, Allie opened just one of the doors of the closet so she would be revealed, and so I jumped from under the bed to give him the final scare.