Chapter 22

The eighth day of March is a good day for construction and groundbreaking. Early in the morning, the mason drove the stove to carry the tiles and tools to repair the roof for Shen Yanbei.

In fact, Shen Yanbei wanted to ask someone to paint the wall, but what he had done in the past few days has been conspicuous enough, and there is not much money left at home, so the dust on the wall has to be pushed back.

Master Mason Wang is a man in his forties. He has been in this business for many years. He was among the people who were invited by the original owner to build the house.

It doesn't take much effort to just change the tiles, just take off the broken and broken tiles, put mud on the tiles and cover them with new tiles.

There was no cement in ancient times. The masons here used a mixture of lime mortar and yellow clay as a binder when building houses. Shen Yanbei frowned slightly at the gray mud in the barrel.

When he visited the Great Wall before, he was curious about how the ancients completed such a huge project without cement. So he went online to check how the Great Wall was built without cement. The information on the Internet mentions how the ancients built walls.

The earliest was to use yellow mud and straw, and later invented lime mortar, but the strength of lime mortar is not high, it is difficult to build large buildings, and can not be constructed in a humid environment. People tried their best to transform the lime mortar, and they came up with a way to mix the yellow clay with higher viscosity into the lime mortar. People in coastal areas have come up with another adhesive tile topping agent that has much better properties than lime mortar, called mirage. The so-called mirage is the ashes obtained by calcining shells. The effect of mirage and yellow clay is better than ever!

The new lime material with better reinforcement effect than mirage is sanhe soil. If the lime clay and sand are combined with water in a certain proportion, it becomes the ancient Chinese version of "concrete"! This kind of triple soil has been widely used, but later generations discovered a more advanced building material, that is glutinous rice lime slurry.

The sticky glutinous rice soup is mixed into lime mortar. The glutinous rice acts as a natural binder, which greatly improves the firmness of the mortar. Bridges and walls built with glutinous rice lime mortar, such as the Great Wall, have not stood tall for a hundred years.

Shenjia Village is located in the south, many people grow glutinous rice, but no one uses this glutinous rice lime slurry to build houses.

The use of glutinous rice lime slurry has been popularized in the Ming and Qing dynasties, and the corn and peanuts introduced in the Ming dynasty began to be planted in the early time and space...

Thinking of this, Shen Yan jumped his eyebrows, and suddenly remembered something.

Corn and peanuts were introduced during the Ming Dynasty, and another crop was also introduced into China during the Ming Dynasty-pepper!

Shen Yanbei was a little frustrated. There are corn peanuts, why are there no peppers? How come there are no such delicious things as chili!

Just about to sigh, Shen Yanbei remembered another thing!

When the pepper was introduced to the Ming Dynasty, it was not used in diet, but as a valuable plant for viewing!

Shen Yanbei's eyes lit up.

He didn't find the chili in the field. Could the chili at this time be used as a potted plant by a gentry or powerful person at home to watch?

Thinking of this possibility, Shen Yanbei was so excited! But reality poured him a bucket of cold water.