Natsu x Reader: Surprise [requested]

A/N: Thank you to treqqpoinie112 for the request! Requests are OPEN.

*******************************

It was here. The week had come and (Y/N) was the most excited member of the guild. She kept bouncing around and whispering in people's ears about the plan.

"Why does she even bother anymore?" Gray drawled. "She gives it away every year. There's no point in planning a surprise party when he's gonna know."

"I think it's rather cute," Erza commented.

"I agree with Miss Erza," Wendy added. "She tries her best."

Lucy tittered, "Yeah, she just can't contain the amount of energy she had when keeping a secret."

(Y/N) had made her way over to their table and started rambling on about what she was planning this year.

"(Y/N), don't you think you should just do a regular party instead of a surprise one? You always tell him beforehand."

"This year will be different," she spoke firmly with a sparkle in her eyes. "I promised that I wouldn't tell him this time!"

Gray rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to the drink he ordered. (Y/N) turned to Lucy and started excitedly revealing the details of the party. The guild doors opened and Natsu and Happy wandered in. He caught her eye and flashed a grin before ordering some food from the bar and making his way over to the table. He took one look at her expression and raised an eyebrow.

"Are you constipated or something, (N/N)?"

"What?"

"You're making a weird face."

(Y/N) waved it off and moved over so he could sit. The group of them chatted for a while before (Y/N), Natsu and Happy all said their goodbyes and headed home.

"You're too excited about something."

The (H/C) wizard jumped in front of him and wiggled her finger.

"And what do you know about that?"

Natsu just chuckled and pulled her towards the house.

"Your birthday is next week," she blurted, already cursing her inability to keep a secret.

"That it is. So what kinda party are you throwing me this year?"

"I'm not."

Natsu gave a 'mmhmm' as he retreated into the kitchen to get something to eat.

"I'm serious! I figured you could have a calm birthday this year."

"Don't worry. I'll find out within the next few days. You're terrible at keeping secrets."

(Y/N) puffed out her cheeks and made her way into the bedroom to pout.

-----------------------------------------------

"Fish or meat?"

"Honestly (Y/N)," Charle chided, "do you really plan on being able to keep the secret?"

"Of course I do! This year will be different!"

She had eventually decided on doing smoked fish, so she scurried up to Makarov to ask him if she could store the food at the guild. He agreed and told her that he would keep the food safe until the party. (Y/N) joined Team Natsu's table again and quickly waved Natsu over when he arrived.

"So when's the party?" Natsu asked cheekily.

"I'm not throwing you one this year," (Y/N) responded coolly.

"Whatever you say."

-----------------------------------------------

"Happy, I need your help. What do you think Natsu--"

"So you are throwing him a surprise party!" Happy exclaimed.

"Shh. I want it to be a surprise."

"But you never keep it a secret."

"Why does everyone keep saying that?"

"Because every year you cave and tell him and then it's not a surprise."

"This year is different!"

-----------------------------------------------

It had come time. The day before Natsu's birthday and (Y/N) had been able to keep her secret. Natsu seemed to be down, so she checked in on him.

"What's wrong, Natsu? Aren't you excited for your birthday tomorrow?"

Natsu gave a weak smile and sighed loudly before sitting over on the bench. (Y/N) was right at his side a second later, feeling his forehead and studying his face.

"What're you doing?" Natsu asked as his laughter leaked through.

"You don't seem right. Do you not feel well?"

"No it's not that. It's just, is there really nothing going on tomorrow? You haven't said anything."

"Don't worry Natsu. I'll hang out with you all day tomorrow and we can go fishing in our special spot!"

Natsu hooked his arm around her and pulled her closer, resting his head on hers.

"You're still gonna have a good birthday, even without a party."

"We're having smoked fish tomorrow," Natsu stated. "I'll make sure to pick some up."

"We can definitely have smoked fish," she responded nonchalantly.

-----------------------------------------

Natsu woke up from the sound of heavy rain hitting the roof. He groaned and peeked out the window to see a dreary sky and deep puddles on the ground. He looked back to the bed to see that (Y/N) was missing, and curiosity got the best of him, so he wandered out of the bedroom to look around. He bumped into the girl in question as she was holding a tray. She had managed to stop the food from falling and hesitantly pushed it into his arms.

"I know it's not much, but with the rain I figured it would make it a bearable start to the day."

Natsu looked at the food and smiled gratefully before guiding them both to the kitchen table. He yawned loudly and slowly ate his food, looking dejected.

"I'm really sorry about the rain, Natsu. I know you were looking forward to fishing. But we can always go whenever it stops raining!"

They had spent the rest of the morning calmly chatting and lightly teasing one another.

"We should just go to the guild," Natsu suggested. "I'm sure everyone is looking for something to do."

(Y/N) looked at the clock and smiled proudly at her timing before agreeing and grabbing an umbrella. The three of them made their way to the guildhall, (Y/N)'s excitement increasing with each step.

"Are you okay?"

"I threw you a surprise party," she blurted before gasping at her revelation.

Natsu started laughing and opened the door to see everyone standing there expectantly.

"Way to go (Y/N)," Gajeel sarcastically spoke. "We told you that you wouldn't be able to keep it a secret."

"I was so close!" (Y/N) screamed in frustration.

The fire dragon slayer placed both hands on her shoulders as he stood behind her and teased, "Wouldn't have it any other way, (N/N)."

"Happy birthday," she congratulated sheepishly.

She received a quick kiss on the cheek before he wandered over to the piles of smoked fish that sat on the back tables.

"Next year I'll keep it a secret. I promise!"

Everyone simply groaned and told her it would never happen.