Natsu x Dead!Reader: I'll Always Protect You

After the many instances of Natsu and Happy breaking into her apartment, Lucy decided to get back at them. She had snuck her way over to their house and peeked inside. When she saw that the house was empty, she slipped inside and laughed mischievously.

"Now they'll learn not to do it to me. What should I do first?"

Lucy looked around and saw that their place was a mess. Clothes were scattered on the floor, the bed was unmade, and leftover food was sitting on the kitchen counter.

"This is gross. How do they live like this?"

Something caught her eye, and she drifted over to the pictures that hung on his wall. There were pictures of the guild, of him and Happy, of Team Natsu, and of him and Lisanna when they were young. One picture in particular struck her curiosity, and she leaned in closer to see it more clearly. Natsu was young in the picture, and he didn't have his guild mark. Happy wasn't with him either.

"Was this from before he joined Fairy Tail?"

She looked closer, studying the picture. Her eyes landed on the person that drew her to the picture in the first place. A young girl with (hair length) (H/C) hair and (E/C) eyes was standing next to Natsu and smiling. She looked closer, and she gasped when she saw the outline of what looked to be a dragon.

"Is that...Igneel? Then who is she?"

She continued to stare at the picture, and she was so deep in thought that she didn't hear the front door open.

"Lucy?" Natsu questioned. "I didn't realize that you were coming over. I would've waited for you at the guild."

"Oh, uh, I was just stopping by! Your door was open and..."

Natsu peeked around her shoulder to see what she was looking at. He grinned when he saw she was looking at his picture wall.

"Pretty cool, right?" Natsu happily asked. "I started doing that about a year ago so that I can look at all my memories when I eat!"

Lucy looked over to him and saw his wide smile. Her focus revisited the picture of the dragon and the unknown girl.

"Hey Natsu?"

"Hm?"

Lucy looked over and sweatdropped when she saw that he had a fish stuffed in his mouth. She rolled her eyes and pointed to the picture.

"Who's this?"

Natsu shuffled back over from the fridge and stood next to the celestial wizard. His smile reappeared.

"That's Igneel. He's pretty cool, huh? He was a lot bigger than the picture shows, but I guess that might've been because I was a lot smaller then."

He started to laugh and make his way back over to the fridge.

"No Natsu. Who's the girl?"

The dragon slayer stopped moving. He stood in the middle of the living room in complete silence, and Lucy could see that his knuckles were turning white from the fists he was making. They both remained quiet, Natsu deep in thought and Lucy silently cursing herself for bringing up a topic that had obviously seemed too touchy.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have--"

Natsu was at Lucy's side again, and his fingers gently touched the picture. A sad smile graced his face.

"Her name was (Y/N)."

"Were you two close?"

Natsu threw his head back in laughter.

"I guess you could say that. Igneel raised us both. She was a fire dragon slayer too. We were both taught by Igneel."

Silence engulfed the room again. Lucy looked at the picture before cautiously looking back over to the pink haired mage.