Natsu x Insomniac!Reader: Blanket [requested]

Thank you to lil_waffleowo for the request!

*******

Natsu knew that he didn't need to worry about (Y/N) in battle. She could easily take care of herself and hold her own against strong foes. Hell, she was able to go toe-to-toe against Erza. But there was one thing that he couldn't help but worry about: the amount of sleep she was getting. Well, more like the severe lack of sleep. As someone who deals with insomnia, (Y/N) stayed up most nights, unable to get to sleep. She would lay in bed; she would close her eyes. But nothing worked, and eventually she stopped trying.

Natsu would wake up in the middle of the night to see that she was reading in the living room or pacing across the floor. The fire mage often rolled out of bed to join her, asking her to try to sleep again. It would never work. Getting to sleep took hours, and by the time she was able to pause her brain, the sun would be out and she would go to the guildhall.

(Y/N) was in the same situation this night, and sitting upside down on the couch was her way of passing the time. Natsu heard the shuffling from the other room and groaned. He forced himself out of bed and stepped into the room to see (Y/N) in her position as she hummed. Her head rolled to the side and let out a small 'oops' before she pulled herself up.

"Did I wake you?"

"Have you slept at all?"

(Y/N) sighed loudly, giving Natsu the answer. The dragon slayer gently grabbed her arm and led her into the kitchen. He reached into the cabinet and started to make tea.

"It won't help," she reminded him. "It never works."

"We gotta get you sleeping, (N/N). You're gonna run out of energy at some point, and we have a big job we're doing in two days."

"I'll be fine."

"No, you won't," Natsu stated sternly.

(Y/N) leaned into his side and pressed her head into his arm. Natsu wrapped his arm around her and turned his head to kiss the top of hers. His hands slowly rubbed her arm as he continued to boil the water, and a couple minutes later he guided her back towards the couch. (Y/N) slowly sat down and held out her hands for the mug of tea. She took in the steam and closed her eyes before taking small sips. They had tried this method many times before. It worked long enough for her to fall asleep once, but she was up within the next two hours, and then she wouldn't be able to get back asleep for the rest of the night.

"So what're we doing today?"

"We're not doing anything until you're able to get some sleep. You're running on two hours from two days ago."

"I'll be fine. You don't have to worry so much."

"(Y/N), you saying that isn't gonna make me worry any less."

(Y/N) curled into his side, setting down her mug on the table. Natsu shifted so that her head was resting on his shoulder.

"The doctor said that she could see you in a few days."

"But I don't--"

She was met with Natsu's tired eyes that hid behind a firm look. (Y/N) looked down. She knew that her lack of sleep meant that his sleep was interrupted, and while he easily caught up with midday naps, it didn't stop the fact that he too wasn't getting enough sleep at night. She slowly nodded in agreement before she jumped up and walked over to the little closet for blankets. After wrapping herself in a blanket, she shuffled back over to the couch and joined his side again.

-------

It was the next day, and (Y/N) grabbed her coat and made her way to the guildhall. Natsu had left while she was in the bath, so she said that she would meet him and Happy there when she was done. Once she arrived, she was met with the usual chaos. Someone had thrown something, as usual, and it started to fly towards (Y/N). Now normally this wouldn't be an issue. She would just catch it or break it before it hit her, but her body refused to work. So, the chair came hurtling at her. Just before it hit her, it caught fire and turned to ash. She could feel the heat from the fire on her face, signalling just how close the furniture had gotten. She heard Natsu let out a breath of relief before making his way over to her.