Natsu x Gray's Sister!Reader: Flower Patch [requested]

A/N: Me? Update twice in two weeks?? Unheard of. Thanks to a user on ao3 for the request. So...this was supposed to be a light and wholesome concept, but I'm sick and that means that I make things difficult. Oops. Also, uh, kind of longer than the usual updates, ringing in at around 7500 words. Sorry!

*******

There were two people in Fairy Tail that caused (Y/N) problems: Natsu Dragneel and Gray Fullbuster. Of course, for two completely different reasons.

Anxiety spiked when she was around Natsu, but in no way was it because of something negative. Quite the opposite, actually. Ever since she was little, (Y/N) had held a liking for the fire mage. She was a couple years younger than him, so she never really had much hope, but those feelings lingered.

It was the typical reactions - both physical and emotional - that followed her whenever she went around him. Young (Y/N) would simply be filled with overwhelming happiness at the sight of him, and she was just happy to be around him. Not a care in the world.

Younger (Y/N) would follow Natsu everywhere, attaching herself to his shadow and voicing whatever thoughts ran through her. Sure, she was nervous. But who wouldn't be around their crush? Completely normal.

She inserted herself into his daily activities in those younger years. He loved to eat. Everyone knew that. So, in order to try to be the reason for the happiness he felt, (Y/N) learned to cook. For him, her child self decided, she would do anything. Constant messes, whether it was a sandstorm of flour or a sea of spilled stew, filled her residence. 

Various desserts, meats and fish (never vegetables) were prepared for him. After a couple months, nearly everyone in Fairy Tail knew of this girl's crush. Well, everyone except Natsu. But (Y/N) persisted, absolutely determined to show the boy that she was the perfect person for him.

It was expected for Natsu to talk all day. In fact, nobody was really sure if he was able to not speak for a lengthy amount of time. And, of course, Natsu never gave them the opportunity to find out, especially when he was younger. Always hurriedly speaking, always shouting, always challenging the other wizards (most of which seemed to be picked by the likelihood of them being able to easily beat the shit out of him in one go - case and point: Gildarts).

(Y/N) would watch on, sparkles in her eyes as she watched him (attempting to) fight these extremely powerful wizards. Though he didn't have the skill, the girl saw that Natsu had the most spirit. And that made her like him even more.

She would listen intently to all of the stories he would tell about Igneel. A real dragon? Now that was something she could hear about all day. Her only experience with anything other than other wizards was that...monster. The one that destroyed her village and killed most of her family. Most. But this dragon, this "Igneel," seemed nothing like that. From all Natsu's memories, his dad seemed really kind.

Natsu had no trouble making friends, and he fit in perfectly with the unusual group that was Fairy Tail. And, for a while, (Y/N) was a close friend. They spent so much time together, and she loved it. She would drop everything to hang out with him for even a minute.

But.

There was always that one person - Gray Fullbuster. Every day, every time, this wizard would get in the way.

And considering her last name was also Fullbuster, (Y/N) could easily guess why.

He, like everyone else in the guild, noticed (Y/N)'s infatuation with Natsu. Which meant that he needed to do everything he could to keep things the way that it was. To make things intentionally and drastically more difficult for the young Fullbuster to pursue her feelings, and certainly more difficult for his rival to get anywhere close to either realizing how his sister felt or acting on said discovery.