Natsu x Reader: Meeting Miss Migraine (Modern AU)

(Y/N) groaned as she sat in the only empty chair in the emergency room. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes, trying to distract herself from the discomfort. She cursed at the bright lights that weren't helping the sharp pain in her temples. She heard the hiss of the person next to her and opened her eyes. She looked through the corner of her eyes, trying to seem discrete, but the pain in her head got worse when she tried.

"So," the man joked, "what're you in for?"

(Y/N) turned to face him completely, giving up on being discrete, and pointed to her head.

"What about you?"

He chuckled before responding, "I burned myself trying to make dinner. Pathetic right?"

She gave a small smile back, scanning him quickly. He was average height and muscular. Messy pink hair, black eyes, burns on his arms. She admitted to herself that he was rather attractive as well. She slowly returned to her original position, closing her eyes and staring at the ceiling. She heard another hiss and opened her eyes.

"They're seriously making you wait out here when you have burns?"

"'Non-emergency' was how they put it. I've been here for two hours already."

"Figures. Usually it takes about two hours and forty minutes for them to take people with 'non-emergency' emergencies."

The man looked at her shocked, asking her, "Are you, like, a nurse or something?"

(Y/N) laughed lightly, "If I was a nurse, I certainly wouldn't be waiting here all night."

"How do you know exactly how long people wait then?"

"Let's just say this isn't my first time at the rodeo."

It was Natsu's turn to look her up and down. She was (height) with (H/C) hair and (E/C) eyes. She seemed to be wincing pretty frequently. She could probably feel his stares because she explained her situation.

"I have chronic migraines, so I come here a lot. Sometimes hospital grade painkillers are the only thing that helps."

"Is it always as painful as it seems right now?"

"On the bad days, I can't really breathe without a pain shooting in my head. Any time I try to move my eye it hurts. I just need them to hurry up and take me so they can give me the IV."

"How often do you come here?"

"Probably once a week," (Y/N) truthfully stated before she tried to joke, "My insurance company loves me."

He laughed quietly before agreeing, "I bet."

"So what about you? How exactly did you end up burning yourself?"

"I was trying to make a lasagna for someone's birthday, but I forgot to put on oven mitts before I took it out of the oven. And then it fell on my arm when I dropped it."

"That's horrible. Don't try to make lasagna again."

He laughed and declared that he definitely wouldn't, claiming that lasagna was forever ruined for him.

"Oh," the man said as he held out his hand to her, "I'm Natsu by the way."

(Y/N) smiled and replied, "I'm (Y/N). And I don't want to be rude, but I don't think shaking your hand would be good for your burns."

"Oh right," Natsu laughed as he retracted his hand. "I forgot."

They sat in silence for a minute before she could hear Natsu hiss again. Her eyebrows furrowed before she stood up.