Natsu x Dead!Reader (Part 2): I'll Always Protect You

SPOILERS: TARTAROS ARC

***************************************

It was Tartaros. It had to be Keyes. There was no other explanation as to why she was standing in front of him right now.

His voice was hesitant as he spoke, forcing out, "(Y/N), is that really you?"

He heard Lucy shout at him from a distance, but he couldn't make it out. All he could do was watch the girl he had known as his little sister as she stood facing him. Lucy had recognized the girl from Natsu's pictures and remembered Gray's situation with his dad. She cursed and tried to catch up to them before anything bad could happen.

"You're so...big now."

"That's what happens when you grow up, Natsu."

"But you...didn't grow up. You couldn't."

"Natsu! Don't get too close to her!"

"What're you doing here, (N/N)?"

"I belong here now. I've been given life again."

Gajeel had made it to the pair before Lucy, and he brought his Iron Club down in front of the (H/C) girl, creating a small crater and forcing her to jump back. (Y/N) looked shocked that someone would interfere, her eyes narrowing into slits and a deep scowl on her face.

"Do you mind, bolts?" She snapped. "I'm trying to talk to my brother in peace."

"He ain't your brother, brat. Get lost."

Natsu's eyes never left her figure. He was met with her comforting smile when she caught his gaze.

"I missed you, Natsu. It's been so lonely here. I miss you and Dad."

"Get away from her, Salamander."

(Y/N) tried to inch closer, but Gajeel stood in the way. She glared at him once again as she tried to step around him. Lucy had finally caught up to the small forming group and placed her hand on one of Natsu's shoulders. Tears started to leak from (Y/N)'s eyes as she started to realize the situation. She would never be able to be by her brother's side again. They would never play in the flower patch or go for rides on the father's back. Never again would they have eating contests or tell stories to one another. There was one thing they could do though.

"Natsu, you need to kill me."

"What?" Natsu asked, completely shocked. "Why would I do that?"

"Because if you don't, then Tartaros will manipulate me into harming you and your friends. Please don't make me do that."

"(Y/N), I can't--"

"Fight me, Natsu. And don't hold back this time."

Natsu shook his head and took a step back, refusing to fight her. (Y/N) kept pushing him to attack her, but he wouldn't budge. Gajeel stepped forward, cracking his knuckles and preparing to attack. (Y/N) caught his movement and turned her attention to the black haired wizard.

"Will you fight me in his place then, bolts?"

"I ain't holding back."

(Y/N) prepared herself as Gajeel aimed his Roar at her. She smirked and countered with her own Roar, causing the two elements to clash and dart off to the sides. Gajeel looked at her with wide eyes, just realizing her abilities had matched Natsu's.

"You're a dragon slayer too? How?"

"Igneel raised me alongside Natsu, and we were both taught fire dragon slaying magic. I'm glad to see that I haven't completely lost touch of my ability to fight."

The iron dragon slayer studied (Y/N) carefully before going to use his Sword. Everyone gasped when Natsu darted out in front of (Y/N) and blocked Gajeel's attack. His arm started to melt from the fire magic that Natsu was using, causing the iron dragon slayer to jump back.

"What the hell is your problem, Sala--"

"Don't touch her!"

"Natsu," Lucy tried to remind, "that's not the same girl you grew up with. This is Tartaros messing with your mind."

"It's still her," he insisted. "That Keyes guy raised her from the dead, but it's still her. And I promised that I would protect her no matter what."

(Y/N) smiled sadly before standing behind him and wrapping her arms around his back, resting her forehead on the part by his shoulder blades.

"It's okay, big brother. I want you to defeat Keyes and all of Tartaros. But it needs to start with me. I'm the one standing in your path right now."

"No."

She sighed and gave a quick 'then you leave me no choice' before turning him around to face her. She mouthed a 'sorry' before her hand formed a fist and she slammed it into his stomach. He went flying back and crashed into a pile of rubble across the area. Lucy gasped and went to go help him up.

"Alright listen here you little brat," Gajeel started, "you're gonna have some serious hell to pay if you go around beating our guildmates."

"Don't...touch her."

"Natsu, you can't be serious," Lucy breathed. "You can't let her--"

"That's my sister! How else would you want me to react?" Natsu shouted.

Before anyone could process what was happening, (Y/N) darted past Gajeel and kicked Natsu in the side just as he was standing up again.

"Natsu, fight me."

Gajeel called for Juvia as she continued to fight Keyes and urged her to end it as soon as possible. (Y/N) crossed her arms and stared down at Natsu. She raised her eyebrow as he continued to pick himself up.

"Why aren't you fighting me? You always used to."

"That was before I lost you. I don't ever wanna--"

"Either way I'm going to die. You either defeat me now, or your friend will defeat Keyes and the spell will finally be undone. I was never able to rest peacefully. That monster dug up my body and made me do his dirty work for years. I'm not alive, and I never will be again, so please let me rest peacefully."

Natsu was on his feet again, and he looked at her with a fire in his eyes.

"(Y/N)...fight me!"

She smiled, realizing that he was finally understanding the situation. She got in her stance and waited for his attack. Their Roars hit each other, flames whipping around the whole area. (Y/N) slipped under the fire and used her Talon. Natsu countered by using his Iron Fist, his hands coming into rough contact with (Y/N)'s side. They both stood apart from each other, wide smiles on their faces. Both of them had tears streaking down their cheeks, but it seemed to go unnoticed by the other wizards.

"Show me your best move, Natsu. I want to see what you've learned since I died."

Natsu took in a deep breath and cast his Brilliant Flame Blade spell, engulfing the entire space in flames. (Y/N) jumped back in time to dodge, but her whole body pulsed. She could feel it. Lucy looked over to see that Juvia had defeated Keyes. (Y/N) looked over and caught sight of the same thing. She ran over to Natsu, pulling him in for a tight hug. She buried her head into his jacket and squeezed him tight. Natsu mirrored her actions. Lucy and Gajeel could see that he was shaking violently. (Y/N) tilted her head up and smiled one last time.

"I love you, big brother."

Natsu held her tighter.

"I'm...all f-fired up now."

(Y/N) laughed at her own catchphrase and joked, "I thought you said that was a stupid saying?"

"I changed my...mind."

He felt her weakening grip on him.

"Thank you, Natsu."

And with that, she was finally able to rest peacefully.