No Pets Allowed (Modern AU)

A/N: Hey everyone! This is a longer one and I kept starting over, so it took a while to upload. Hope you enjoy! Just a reminder that requests are OPEN.

***************************************************

(Y/N) heard a noise outside her apartment door. It sounded like paws running on the floor and down the hall, and she was afraid it was a rat, so she stood stiffly by her door to wait until it stopped. She jumped when she heard soft scratching on her door.

"What the fuck kind of rat is this?"

She carefully went to the peephole and gasped when she saw that it was a cat scratching her door. She quickly opened the door and crouched down to let the cat sniff her hand.

"What are you doing here, little kitty? You're not allowed inside."

(Y/N) heard quick steps running down the hall before one of the other tenants appeared around the corner. He looked at (Y/N) petting the cat and panicked.

"You cannot tell the landlord he's in here. I'll get in so much trouble."

"Is he a stray?"

"...No."

(Y/N) gasped and stood up abruptly before dragging him and the cat into her apartment.

"You snuck a cat into your apartment?! What were you thinking? Pets aren't allowed."

"I know, I know. But look at him."

(Y/N) turned to see the cat purring as he held onto the man's leg. She sighed and bent down to play with the cat again.

"His name is Happy."

"And you are?" (Y/N) asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, right," he said as he rubbed the back of his head. "I'm Natsu. It's, uh, nice to meet you."

(Y/N) rolled her eyes and introduced herself before going into the kitchen and placing a bowl of water on the floor for Happy.

"Now, please tell me why you thought sneaking a cat into your apartment was a good idea?"

Natsu shrugged his shoulder and casually replied, "I've always wanted a cat."

"You can't keep him here!"

"Why not?"

"Because you'll get in so much trouble. Not to mention, now I'll get in trouble since I knew about him."

Natsu smirked before stating, "That's only if the landlord finds out."

"No offense, Natsu, but you're an idiot."

"We can always just blame it on the rats."

"Happy looks nothing like a rat, first off. Second, cats make noise. They purr and meow and scream and whine and scratch things and hiss. Not to mention the noise he'll make when he moves around the apartment and pushes a glass of your counter."

"You sound experienced," Natsu laughed.

"I grew up with cats. Believe me, they're the cutest and lovable annoyance anyone could ever wish for."

"So you'll help?"

"When did I ever say I would help?"

-------------------------------------

"Happy!" (Y/N) whisper-yelled. "Get over here. Someone's coming."

Happy looked at her blankly before screaming loudly and running away from her door. (Y/N) ran after him and chased him all the way down the hall to Natsu's apartment.