Chapter 22 - Working Things Out

~*~*~*~Lauren~*~*~*~

Natalia was carrying the upper half of Leon towards the island counter top where Lauren rushed to sweep it clean of anything that was already on it. Leon's legs were completely non-existent at this point in time thanks to Typhon's attack, but as Natalia threw Leon's body on the counter and struggled to hold pieces of him inside she just couldn't take it. For the second time Lauren had to turn away and puke, this time though she made it to his trash can but that didn't help to numb the blow when she turned back around to what remained of Leon. If she hadn't watched what happened to him and the result of it, she really and truly would've thought that this was just some dummy that Natalia was trying to revive. Leon's eyes were still open but they'd gone from a brilliant shade of red to a dull and lifeless brown, it truly did seem like all the life had simply left his entire body--or what was left of it.

As far as damage went, Leon's body from his ribcage down was completely missing, and there was a large almost basketball sized hole where the left side of his chest used to be. His left arm, shoulder and all were gone, and from where Lauren was standing she could actually see inside Leon's chest. The sight of that was more than enough to cause another vomiting fit to hit her as she puked again into Leon's trash can. Yet despite this Natalia was cramming every single towel or bit of cloth that she could into the spot that'd once been Leon's abdomen. There wasn't any blood, that shocked Lauren, but then again it was all probably downstairs on the dance floor where Natalia had grabbed him.

Lauren didn't see the point in trying to plug up the hollow cavity that now existed in Leon's torso and she just slowly slid down the wall to the floor. For some reason that set Natalia off because she rounded on Lauren and started to scream at her at the top of her lungs. "What the hell are you doing!? Get up and run into the bathroom for some more towels!" She screamed so loud that the force of her voice alone felt like a slap across the face. "He's still alive you idiot, are you going to just let him- Forget it!"

Natalia reached over with a blood soaked hand and lifted Lauren up before placing her hand on the towels that she'd already had there before running to the bathroom. Lauren held her hands exactly where Natalia had put them and just stared down at Leon's motionless body and those lifeless looking eyes for what seemed like forever before she noticed that she was crying. In all honesty she didn't know if it was because she was shock, or because she was looking down at the all but dead body of one of her best friends. She hasn't known Leo very long at all, but during their time out in the Badlands she'd come to trust the demon with her life after he saved her countless times often at the cost of his own body. Even after that, he'd risked himself to protect her on more than one occasion, and she'd built him up in her own mind to be invincible.

Now she was coming to the realization that he wasn't, and that Typhon had all but destroyed Leon with just a snap of his fingers. How could she feel safe now, knowing that as strong as Leon was he wasn't even a match for Typhon? And knowing that the other demon didn't even have to try to do this sort of damage to a furious Leon was all to more terrifying. What if there was another demon just as strong somewhere out there and he had the intention of making sure that they finished the job they started. Trek was right she thought to herself nearly choking on her breath as she looked down at Leon, demons are too dangerous for the likes of her to be around.

Lauren had begun to back away as if on instinct as Natalia emerged from the bathroom with an arm full of towels. Lauren continued backing away giving Natalia all the room that she needed to plug up what remained of Leon. The wall touched her back and Lauren nearly jumped out of her skin before letting out a yelp which made Natalia whip around with a kitchen knife in hand. She took one look at Lauren and saw that nothing was wrong before she went back to what it was she was doing. However, as soon as Natalia turned around to put down more towels both girls let out a scream when Leon's head shot up and his right arm went straight up as if he meant to grab something. He let out a wheezing type of sound before his eyes gave off a red glow and Lauren's eyes were brought immediately down to where Natalia had put all the towels in the loft against the hollow of Leon's chest. Lauren had to shield her eyes when a light so red and so brilliant began to show from within him.