Chapter 69 - Gods and the Beast

~*~*~*~Back in Washington DC~*~*~*~

General Reyes' eyes were glued to the screen in front of him as a drone gave him and the rest of his team a live feed of the action as in happened live. Nick had told him to get a drone over Skorge before he'd been wheeled away for emergency surgery. It was a good thing Nick was a demon as well, a wound like the one he'd just suffered would have killed a human. He'd risked his life to get message to the demon that everyone called the Light, the one that defeated Skorge when he'd attacked the Collaboration festival. Now that he was watching the fight now, he was horrified to find that there was a group of demons which included Skorge, the Light, and even Typhon Loustar were trying and failing to subdue a new creature that he'd never seen before.

This battle between what he could only assume was the Chain's forces and this new demon had been going on for some time now. As of now, it seemed like the Chain was going to fail in stopping this thing, and if that happened... General Reyes turned to one of the officers beside him and asked for a status report on the soldiers that were fighting with the other demons scattered across the city. The officer acknowledged him with 'Sir!' before she went to work on her control panel making another live feed take the place of the one he was just watching.

"Our troops are holding their own against the invading demons. But they could definitely use some reinforcements to help bolster the line of defense."

"No, tell all active troops to converge on the stadium." General Reyes said plainly as he watched his men fighting for all they were worth against the demons that Skorge had brought with him to invade. As bad as it would be to let them progress even further, Nick had taught Reyes in their short time together to look at the bigger picture. To him that meant letting the demons go beyond the city limits in order to go and provide the Light with the back up he needed.

"Sir..." The officer began. "We can't just let the demons through. There are still people inside the city... If we pull out then they'll be helpless against those demons."

"That can't be helped." Said General Reyes, his voice was strained and his fists were clenched so tight that his knuckles had grown white. The officer looked at him as if he'd just lost his mind and when she still refused to give the order he spoke again. "If we're barely holding our own against the Chain's foot soldiers, than how do you think we will do against an enemy that even their elite can't seem to bring down?

"Look at their battle field!" He commanded pointing to the big screen in front of them all that showed what had once been down town Los Angeles, now reduced to what he could only compare to the aftermath of a nuclear explosion. Skyscrapers which had once stood tall had vanished, roads which wound their way through the once great city were destroyed. All of that destruction because the Chain was trying to stop a single creature, yet here they stood worried about the smaller threat rather than the one that called for the Chains strongest demons. "It would take one of our nuclear bombs to cause that same amount of damage and that thing they're fighting is still moving. If the Chain can't defeat that thing on their own than we need to help them, and we need to help them now!"

~*~*~*~Back on the Battlefield~*~*~*~

Legion was looking over at the small man that had fired that blast at him, and the person he saw wasn't anyone that he remembered. They wore a long black hooded coat that completely hid their face from sight, in all honesty they looked like they were made out of solid black- Legion's eyes widened as the memory came back to him of the strange black figures that attacked him when he escaped that awful prison. Those figures had tried to fight him but none of them could withstand a single hit from him not that it stopped them from trying.