Final Arc - Chapter 1

It was a quiet night, the evening birds and animals were singing their night songs, and the mist of Wazt Rhut was forming it's usual barrier to conceal it from those down below. Leon was leaning on the railing of his back porch looking up at the lonely mountain in the distance with his hair hanging loosely in his face. He was only in his pajama bottoms, and was standing on the wood of the porch in his bare feet and exposed torso to the night air. But it wasn't like it was cold out, it never really got cold here, at it's lowest it got around 50 degrees far warmer than what he was used to for a coldest temperature.

He let out a sigh as he looked up at the night sky with a wondrous look on his face. He'd done it. He finally had everything that he'd ever wanted in life. He and Natalia were living together, due to be married next month, he had a healthy baby boy whom was the light of his life. He had friends that he cared about, he was even an uncle in a way. Carny and Arya had announced two weeks after Nix was born that they were going to be parents as well. If he was being honest though, Leon had a hard time imagining Arya being a mother and even harder time picturing Carny being a father.

And as it turned out the prospect had terrified Carny. He'd visited Nick several times asking him to fix him, but when Nick told him there was nothing scientifically wrong with him Carny then went to Quinn. Unfortunately for the insane demon, Quinn couldn't help him either and Carny had vanished for sometime. Leon had gone out in search of him and found Carny miles away out in the wilderness of Ryna perched a top a cliff and looking out at the world before him. When Leon came to sit by him Carny had spoken to him about his fears over becoming a father.

He was afraid that he might lose it again and hurt his child, because he admitted that sometimes he'd lash out at Arya for no reason but she could handle it because she could defend herself. But the baby... Carny was afraid he'd do something to his child in one of his fits of rage. They were getting fewer in number and lessening in their explosiveness, but none of them had any illusions that Carny was normal which was another huge fear that Carny had. He was afraid that his child might come out wrong like him.

When Carny was a child he'd hurt his younger brother... badly too, and as a result he'd been taken to a doctor's office to be evaluated. Only when he and the doctor came out his parents had vanished, they didn't even return home, they simply left Carny alone at the hospital taking their other son with them. Carny was then moved to an orphanage where he was then sent to a psychiatric hospital on account of his violent behavior. Twice Carny had been rejected because of something he didn't understand, because of something that he couldn't control and so his personality Cole was born.

Cole was born out of Carny's need to be accepted by the rest of the world. He was timid, kind, gentle, and just the opposite of Carny in every way imaginable. When he escaped the hospital and joined the circus because to Carny that's where freaks go to be accepted he was welcomed with open arms. There they even worked to restrain him whenever he had one of his fits, to keep him under control he was accepted there because he was a freak. But when he met Leon... Well that was different.

According to Carny, when they met the first time Carny wanted nothing more than to kill him. But as they grew to learn about each other Carny saw that Leon wasn't afraid of Carny, and actually found his personality of Cole boring going as far as to say he preferred Carny. It was confusing and vexing to Carny all at the same time because he'd spent his entire life trying to fix himself to fit what everyone thought of as normal, then Leon came along and said there was nothing wrong with him. He'd accepted Carny, not because he was a freak, he accepted him because he was him. That's why Carny was so blindly loyal to Leon, because he saw him as the one and only person in the entire world who thought he was fine as he was.

Then Arya showed up again, and she liked Carny the way he was and was even having his child. Two people now liked Carny because of the way he was and that made no sense to him. But still it terrified him to know that there was a possibility that his child may end up just like he was and be forced into a world that will reject them because they were broken.