Chapter 30 - Breaking Points

2 Days

~*~*~*~Lauren~*~*~*~

The night air out here was amazing Lauren thought as she sat on the very small dock listening to animals singing their evening songs. Up until four days ago she'd never heard crickets and frogs chirp, or an owl hooting, or wolves howling. Those types of animals just weren't in DC and even if they were she'd never be able to hear them over the busy sounds of the city. Her time away from everything there has really helped her calm down and actually come to terms with everything that she'd seen and heard since she'd been employed by Leon. Not only that but Roy was right, hitting those punching bags really helped her relieve her anxiety over everything that'd happened.

Her arms and legs were still sore from the repeated workouts that Roy had been putting her through, but oddly enough even though her legs felt like jelly when she walked she felt surer on her feet than she'd ever been before. Soaking her feet in the pond helped too which was exactly what she was doing. Roy told her it was alright to swim in the pond but Lauren wasn't exactly leaping for joy about jumping into a pond. Soaking her feet was good enough for her, plus she liked just looking out on the clear pond at the moon's reflection always wavering because of the ripples she was making. But she really liked it when it was warm at night because than a light mist would rise from the pond giving an almost mystical vibe to it.

The mist reminded her of that old story about Swan Lake. The pond was no lake by any means but it still held an air of mysticism for her but that was just a little girl's vision. Lauren knew that there was no real Swan Lake that was home to a swan that would turn into a princess when she met her true love but it was a nice thought regardless. Lauren took in a deep breath and closed her eyes before laying back down on the small dock which was no more than a few boards nailed together to make a 12 foot bridge to nowhere. Closing her eyes out here was amazing because than she had to focus only on the sounds she was hearing and the world was much smaller and calmer when she did that. There weren't any demons out here Roy had assured her making the most dangerous thing out here Roy himself.

Lauren had gone for runs with him out in the woods where they ran into a black bear hard at work getting at a bee hive. It was a young bear and it only looked up to acknowledge them before setting back to its work. Lauren said that it was because it sensed Roy had demon blood in him that it didn't attack but Roy insisted that it didn't attack because they weren't doing anything to bother it. "Not everything is because of demons." He'd said not in a harsh or annoyed tone that her friends might have used, but in a tone that a tutor would use to explain how a problem worked. Lauren went along with it and decided that Roy might've been right that the bear knew they weren't going to bother it. She was getting better at not associating everything that she saw with demons since she came out her with Roy. She still did of course but nearly as badly as she had before.

Footsteps alerted her to Roy approaching and she opened his eyes just in time to see his glowing eyes peer down at her before he wordlessly sat beside her. She noticed his eyes glowed in the dark their first night out here and asked him about it but she didn't seem to know why they were glowing himself. She wondered if Leon's glowed in the dark like that too but she didn't see the point in asking because they each agreed that as long as they were here the world ended at the horizon. They didn't try getting a hold of anyone, they didn't watch the news, in fact they both turned their PET's off and left them in the trunk of the old car that had been parked in the driveway. It was just them and they agreed that they'd act like they were the only two people on Earth while they were here. At first Lauren thought it'd be boring and that the day would just drag on and on but to her it felt like the past four were more like two days.

They spent their days either working out with all the equipment Roy had brought until Lauren felt like her limbs were going to fall off at the joints. Their evenings were spent watching all the movies that were stocked on the shelf. The first two days Lauren couldn't even last a half hour after the work outs before she crashed but now she could proudly make it half way into the second movie before her eyes closed on her. When they weren't watching movies Roy was cooking and Lauren was out here by the pond listening to the animals. For all the working out they were doing Roy was only cooking junk food like tacos, burgers with fries, or pizza. Lauren didn't really mind that too much because she knew that she was going to be working it all off the next day.