Chapter 27 - The Favored Son

6 Days

~*~*~*~Cole~*~*~*~

Cole sat in his room which reminded him more of one of the asylums he'd committed himself to earlier in life than a 'comfortable room' as Ramon had put it. There was no color in the room just a solid white covering both the walls, floor, and ceiling and a light so harsh that it was impossible to tell where one began and the other ended. The only bit of furniture he had was a small bed that was built directly into the ground and was just as white as the rest of the room. It was soft at least he thought as he looked down at the IV that had been slowly draining away his blood. It was something that several 'experts' had tried, thinking that if they monitored his blood while he was in control of the body and when Carny was that they'd find some irregularities. As of yet he couldn't say that there was any.

A professor named Ramon had come to see him as soon as he'd been placed here and it was by his orders that they were drawing his blood. According to Ramon he was also going to be put through brain surgery so that they could place a probe of sorts in his brain so that they can monitor the changes in chemicals and electric discharges when the 'other one' appeared. Cole didn't mind that too much as long as they removed it after they separated him and Carny, than they can poke and prod him to their hearts content while he is off enjoying his normal life. Of course being poked and prodded wasn't anything new to Cole, especially ever since Carny had met Leon. He'd wake up to find that his body was in the middle of healing from wounds that looked like he'd been put through a meat grinder. Several times he's woken like that and every time was sheer agony for Cole but apparently pain was more of an incentive for Carny, it gave him a reason to keep going whether it be inflicting it upon himself or upon others.

It made Cole sick to his stomach to think about all the things that Carny might have done that he didn't even know about. All the lives he'd taken or all the people he hurt all so that he could get a glimpse at their so-called Red. Cole wasn't sure what it was about the color red that threw Carny into such a fit of rage but he had admit that even Carny's aptitude for wreaking havoc had its uses. Apparently Carny had helped stop some business man from trying to wipe out all the demons of the world, and now he was even being recruited to work for the Left Hand of the Demon. For being such a sadistic psychopath Carny sure was getting a lot of recognition for killing. Cole was almost jealous of that, almost.

The small IV cartage made a dinging noise snapping him out of his revere and bring his attention back to the task he was given by Ramon before he was called away. He removed the cartage from his arm and replaced it with a second before moving to place the full one in its case. As he was doing that however a small red bead slipped from the cusp of the cartage and landed on his snowy white bed. Cole's hands suddenly began to sweat profusely at the sight of the blood, so much so that it actually slipped from his grasp and tumbled across the floor. He hardly even noticed though, his eyes were fixed on the small red splotch, it was no bigger than the tip of a pen but to him it seemed like it there was a splotch the size of a basketball staring back at him.

He took a heavy swallow as a bead of sweat ran down his brow and he could hear his heart in his ears. It was beating so loud that it was almost deafening and suddenly the room felt like it'd just jumped up thirty degrees in a second. His breathing was getting heavier and more erratic but he didn't feel tired, quite the opposite actually, he felt as though he were bursting with energy and that he needed to work it out of his system. Than as if his body had a mind all its own, his hand began to slowly reach out for the red splotch of blood. His fingers were visibly trembling as they neared the red splotch and somewhere far off he heard glass shattering followed by someone that sounded oddly like himself letting out a scream as if they were being murdered. The scream went on and on but even it was blotted out by the rapid thundering of his heart and then just like that everything stopped and the second cartage went off.