Chapter Eighty Two | ElijahXAdela

It took me a long time, it was already nightfall but I made it to the town over to Adela's front door. I'm sure my feet are blistered, these shoes are a little difficult to run in.

I didn't look my best either. As soon as mama lied to me about being a girl I ran. It's a cruel joke for a parent to play. Adela is the only thing in my life that makes sense right now.

If mama really wasn't joking then I needed to leave, I needed to run away with Adela where no one knew the truth and we could be happy.

I knocked on their cottage door.

Her adopted father was a hunter for a living and her two adopted older brothers were Templar Knights. Her two older adopted sisters were engaged but she gossiped to me that one sister in only getting married because she might be pregnant and they need to hide the truth.

The truth.

Why do so many people have to hide the truth? We shouldn't judge each other. Sure women aren't supposed to do that but she made a mistake, we're only human. It's a really awful mistake to make but she can't take it back.

Mama can't take back the hurtful lies she told me.

My head is still spinning, I'm not sure how long I've been knocking but her father quickly opened the door, a dagger in hand.

It was, in fact, an odd time to show up.

I tried to look Less ragged and scared so I puffed out my chest which was a little sore for some reason and I firmly asked him, "may I speak vith Adela sir?"

He arched a brow but opened the door further and nodded.

Around a square old wooden table sat Adela's adopted mother knitting and her two sisters eating and giggling when they saw me. Not because I was slightly disheveled but because they could only assume I was here for one thing.

Adela shyly got up from her seat she walked quickly to my side, hands properly clasped together. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and straightened her apron. She blushed as she met my gaze and I blushed too.

Suddenly all my tension and nerves washed away and I felt my heart beating. A smile crossed my face and I'm sure I was red too.

I love her.

I love her, that's all that matters to me.

"Adela, will you go on a walk vith me?" I asked nervously.

She nervously looked to her feet and nodded, her sister's giggling in the background exchanging assumptions with their mother.

Her father glared down at me.

"Boy."

"J-Ja?"

"Adela is the vorld to us, I expect proper compensation."

I nodded shyly.

I wasn't here to propose though tonight would be perfect. Maybe I should. If things turned out fine then by the morrow I'd be engaged to her. It'd be official, years of pining and courting and longing glances and she'd finally be mine. No other man could ever have her, ever.

I took her hand and lead her to the forest trail behind her cottage.

The lightning bugs were still around and the warmth of summer still lingered.

I heard the crickets chirping and I continued to walk with her despite the fact she seemed a little worn out.

I didn't want to see her house and I didn't want anyone to listen, I just wanted it to be the two of us.