Chapter Seventy Two | UnoXWar

After Antonio checked up on me and watched closely at least three more times I was finally alone with my new friends.

At least Raivis and Emil we're friends.

I didn't yet know the others well so I awkwardly started small talk as I passed out the uno deck cards.

"So Yao, when and where were you born?" I asked.

"China and I have no idea but at least four thousand years ago," he said, crossed arms like he was proud. "I'm the oldest and wisest of you all," he grinned.

"That's really cool, you'll have to share some of those stories later," I politely responded trying to take in the fact this man was older than the Bible.

"And you Yekaterina?" I asked.

She blushed as she seemed even shyer than Emil, "I'm a little shy about my age...but umm I'm Ukrainian," was her answer and she went silent so I nodded in recognition.

"I've been to Ukraine it's really cool. I also snuck into Chernobyl but that's a different story," I casually mentioned.

"You may have shortened your life," Raivis said in concern.

"Yup."

"You're okay with that?" Yao asked, surprised.

"More okay now that I know I'll be a vampire," I said cheerily as I finished shuffling the card deck, "so what about you Roderick?"

He huffed like it was inconvenient, "Austria, I grew up knowing Elizabetta and Gilbert," he answered.

I really wanted to ask what they were like but I'm sure that'd completely distract me.

Moving on to Matthew, "and you?" I asked as I handed him his cards.

"1782, Canada." That was all he said. He didn't really seem talkative either.

I was a talkative person so this might be awkward trying to keep the chatting going.

Before I could ask her, I still didn't know her name, the Vietnamese girl responded, "Vietnam, age is a number," and she returned to her melancholic gaze.

"Okie Dokie then...does everyone have seven cards?" I asked and they nodded.

"So uno war is simple, does everyone know how to play uno?" I asked and continued when they agreed, "So cards other than numbers will count as war cards, when someone puts down a drawcard if you have a special card you can use it. You can put down another plus, which adds on to the next person, you could put down a reverse which means the plus cards go counter-clockwise, you can put down a skip card and skip yourself which mean it's the other person's turn, but if you have none of these you have to draw the amount of cards in total that were added."

They nodded and asked a few simple questions but we began.

It was generally quiet and so awkward I resorted to talking about the cool night air which Yao added he missed. Raivis said it felt like the night his village was burned down and we dropped the topic.

Finally, a real war began.

I put down a draw four, Emil put down a draw two, Yekaterina panicked and put a reverse card down but then so did Emil and it was back to her, she put down a skip card and it moved on to Roderick.

He studied his cards and put down a plus-four, it moved to Yao and he also put down a plus-four. Raivis reversed it and Yao cursed in a Mandarin dialect I didn't recognize.

"Fuck you, westerner," he cursed again and that's when things got more lively.

In the end, I learned the Vietnamese girl was named Lien. I learned this because she reversed her deck with Yao and he cursed at her and leaped over the table and they got into a fistfight while everyone else continued to play.

At some point Emil broke a light, Yekaterina started to cry and Raivis took shelter under the table.

It was a very interesting fifteen minutes.

I watched as the moonlight lit up the backyard where my new friends now hid from each other and/or fought.

"I've started a war before, I'll do it again," Yao shouted.

I ducked back inside and ran into Antonio who'd come to check up on me, Francis following closely.

"Hey, you guys I started a fight."

At least twenty people in the room turned their heads and ten followed Francis and Antonio outside.

It got louder outside, assumably not from calming things down and everyone inside flocked outside to watch the most introverted, shy vampires among them fight like savages.

"How to hell did you get the wallflowers to fight each other and scream like Vikings?" Mathias asked.

"We were playing uno....this is also one reason I got kicked out of school."

The crowd gave me a blank stare like they didn't fully believe me but Leon piped up.

"Yeah, that'll do it."