Chapter Sixty Seven | DistractionXBlackmail

Antonio stared at me blankly as I wouldn't give straight answers about how I managed to graduate college despite lack of mathematical skills.

I leaned back in my seat and stretched as we neared home, ignoring his constant stare. I'd probably take a nap or something once we arrived.

"So how many cousins does Ludwig have?" I asked changing the subject, looking at Francis sleepily.

"Five. Chlodwig from Hesse, Garibald of Bavaria, Hathagat from Saxony, Harold of Holstein, and August of Brandenburg." He recited.

"He's got a bigger family than I thought," I said aloud. Gilbert seemed so lonely but he had so many people in his life.

"Well they aren't technically related to him but they do see him as an uncle."

"So why did they end up turned?" I asked.

Sounding a bit uncomfortable Antonio replied, "Gilbert didn't want to lose the people in his life at the time that didn't look at him like he was a monster, aside from that he thought it would make Ludwig happy to have his cousins around, and I guess it did but they were mad at him for a while. They're all like a family again these days but now that they know what happened in his past he feels like it'll never be the same. That's probably why he was so devastated about you. He thinks you'll never look at him with the same happiness and admiration." He theorized and my heart sank for Gilbert.

That poor man couldn't catch a break. I was mad he left but now I really wanted to give him a hug, though who knows when I'd have that chance.

I nearly drifted off in the short few minutes before home but the sound of the others unbuckling woke me from my sleepy daze. It was probably because this reminded me of work that it made me so sleepy.

Antonio opened my door for me and tugged my arm gently helping me up. I fell into his chest and grabbed my shoulders, balancing me. He hugged me and kissed my forehead. He took a moment to meet my eyes and smile brightly before resting his hand on the small of my back and leading me to the door.

Francis fiddled with his unusual amount of keys and opened the door. At least he didn't break it again, I was not fixing the freaking door for like a fifth time.

I trudged upstairs and Antonio followed to make sure I was okay. I didn't bother shutting the door since he was only a few steps behind me and I flopped onto my bed.

"Todo bien, ___?" He asked and shut the door behind him, a telltale sign he was hoping thing might escalate.

We all needed an escape I didn't blame him for hoping.

Escape rooms and family visits weren't enough to deal with the sadness Gilbert left us with.

I nodded sleepily.

"I'm tired," I yawned and cuddled into my pillows.

Antonio took the blanket from the back on my bed and tossed it over me. He tucked me in and I smiled gleefully. He laughed and sat behind me.

I appreciated the fact he wasn't trying to take things further. He was reasonable, he knew when I needed space, he knew when I needed sleep or company.

He wrapped his arms around me from behind and listened to my soft breaths as I snuggled against his chest.

Francis opened the door to check on us, letting us know the three were leaving.

Antonio kissed the back of my head and left the bed slowly, trying not to disturb me. He tucked a pillow behind me, to replace him and stepped downstairs quietly and quickly.