Chapter Eighty | ElijahXJournal

May 13th, 1194

Dear Gilbert

I'm writing this for you.

Home is nice.

Papa Bertholdt is super nice like always.

I've never had a mom before so it's strange. I wonder if my wife will be like her. Adela is kind of like her but Adela isn't as mature and wise just yet. I'll have to wait.

I want to clear up some things I couldn't tell you in person.

My family.

You heard me say I had hun brothers and yeah that way true.

All my brothers were much older than me. My dad was a war general, he taught me what I know, so did my brothers. Axel, I think he was twenty, the buffest, biggest man I've ever seen. Fulke, he was eighteen, that part I know cause it was his birthday before the incident I'll explain too. Gebbert, he was seventeen.

The incident was the Holy Roman Empire, who I grew up to hate.

We were attacked, we started it but still.

Dad died immediately and Axel stepped up to take charge. He and my brothers ran into war and only Fulke survived.

Our village and the ones surrounding it were all in pretty bad shape. There was nowhere I could go that Fulke thought I might be safe except right into enemy territory.

Fulke died by arrow fire sneaking me into their territory.

Fulke was the nicest, softest person ever, unless he was fighting. There wasn't much I said or did after he died but cry and eventually I couldn't cry anymore. There was nothing left.

My feet got sore and blistered because I walked for days and I didn't sleep.

Eventually, I reached the town, right next to the one I live in right now.

I fell asleep against a building under pieces of wood.

It started raining but I fell asleep anyway.

I woke up cause a stray dog tried to eat me.

I had to kill it to survive, I was very sad. I hunted before but I had a dog back home so it felt wrong. I know I probably sound girly for saying that.

I ate stuff from the forest between the two towns before I walked into the town now.

I heard kids laughing.

I heard one kid shout "I am awesome" I'm pretty sure it was you.

I stayed by the towers and I listened to you guys play. I heard orphanages were scary though and I knew the place wasn't a school because I heard girls too and girls can't read or write so it had to be an orphanage or something.

Then I heard the piano.

That's when I realized the place must be a nice place.

I didn't want to be in an orphanage though because that felt like admitting to myself I was an orphan. I didn't want people to be sorry for me, or rely on help to survive.

I wanted to be a big strong man like my father and my brothers so I stayed on the streets a while.

But then came the rainstorm and it was so heavy I couldn't find my way to the towers.

I nearly got trotted over by a horse but thankfully it saw me.

Oddly enough the person riding it was our priest.