Stupid Factor

Aim's POV

"What do you mean you are taken?" I ask at a loss. Did Maprang and Oak really start going out? When?

"Just that," Oak mumbles in between bites. I almost laugh when Wad raises his fist behind Oak. I want to punch him, too. 'Just that.' What the hell does that even mean?

"Hey," Maprang says as she takes a seat next to Oak.

"Hey," Oak replies, not looking up at her.

All of us at the table are trying to figure out what is going on with Oak and Maprang. I look at May, and she shakes her head. Looking at Prae, she seems just as confused as the rest of us.

"Maprang?" Prae starts. "Where did you go? We don't have any tests to study for right now."

"I know. I needed to go to the bathroom," Maprang shrugs and steals Oak's chips bag from him.

"Then what was all of that about going to the library to study?" Prae looks at us for help.

"I don't know where that came from," Maprang mutters, munching on a chip and holding one out for Oak to take.

"Since Maprang isn't making any sense maybe Oak, can explain why he told that girl he was taken?" Jett asks for all of us.

"I am making sense, Jett. And what girl?" Maprang questions, handing back the chips to Oak.

"Some crazy girl who asked me to walk around the festival with her," Oak answers Maprang, "Can you believe she introduced me to her friends as her boyfriend?"

If they were dating, wouldn't telling your girlfriend that you were asked to walk around with another girl be a bad thing to do? And why isn't Maprang getting upset?

"Was it that girl who went through your line like six times?" Maprang looks at Oak for confirmation.

"Was it six? I thought it was only five," Oak replies.

I look around the table and see that everyone is probably just as lost as I am. Do Maprang and Oak really have something going on?

"No," Maprang hums, "I noticed her when she went through for the second time. It was six, and it would have been seven, but the shift changed. So she came and asked you to walk around with her? What was her name? Which faculty is she from?"

Ok. Did the rest of us just become invisible? Why is this only a conversation between them? Didn't I ask the original question? And did anyone else pick up on the fact that Maprang paid a lot of attention to Oak's line?

"Yeah, she did," Oak answers, "I never got her name or faculty. Which made it really awkward when I had to tell her I wasn't her boyfriend. I had to say, 'Whoever you are, I am not your boyfriend.' That had to be embarrassing for her."

"You did that?" Maprang laughs, "What did she say back?"

"I cut her off," Oak explains, "I just said I was taken and left before it could get ugly. I didn't want her friends beating me up."

"What do you mean taken?" Maprang shoves his shoulder, "Where did that come from?"

Yes! We are back to the question we all want to know!! Now fvcking answer it!

"I figured if I said that, she would stop and not bother me," Oak tells Maprang, "I hope it works. Now that I think about it. She sort of stalked me today. Creepy."

"No kidding," Maprang agrees, "Hey, there was a haunted house. Prae and May won't go with me. Will you go with me?"

"Yeah," Oak nods as he grabs his plate, "Let me throw this away first." Oaks stands up with his plate and heads for the trash can.