Smile That Big

Prem's POV

Walking into my dorm, I notice Wad is no longer in bed. I set our late breakfast on the table and look for him. Spotting him on my balcony, I join him. The smell of smoke makes me frown. I don't like that he smokes, but I don't know if I should tell him to stop. He must have seen my face because I hear.

"I know I should stop," Wad says before he takes another drag on his cigarette.

I look at his beautiful face as he does and can't stop myself from tucking his hair behind his ear so it doesn't obscure my view and cupping his cheek. He leans into my hand as I stroke his cheek with my thumb.

"I would be lying if I say I like you smoking," I smile at him. "Because I don't. I hope you will stop, but I won't force you." I lean over a give him a quick kiss on his cheek before I continue, "Come inside, I have breakfast."

Setting out the food at the table, Wad comes and wraps his arms around me. He rests his chin on my shoulder, watching me place the containers.

"I guess I can try and stop," Wad grumbles in my ear. "I mean Ai'Kong stopped for P'Arthit. So I should stop for you." Placing a kiss on my cheek as he lets go and goes to sit down.

I never knew that a simple meal shared with someone you love would make me so happy, but it does every time. We rarely have lunch together at school and when we do it is with all his friends and mine. Maybe one day we can have lunch there without the crowd. I smile to myself as I watch him eat.

"I won't disappear, P'," Wad laughs.

Shit, I got caught. I quickly look away, my eyes landing on Wad's pack of cigarettes. I am happy he is going to try to stop as N'Kongpop did for Arthit. What? N'Kongpop stopped for Arthit? Why would he do that? I doubt Arthit would have ordered him to stop. And I don't think N'Kongpop would just do what Arthit says.

"Why did N'Kongpop stop smoking for P'Arthit?" I ask, which causes Wad to choke on the mouthful of food he had. I get up and pat his back and hand him his drink.

"You ok?" I fret, patting. Wad nods as he sips his drink. He motions me to sit back down. Taking my seat, I look at him worriedly. He is about to reply when his phone on the table lights up. He looks at it with a frown and hits ignore.

I watch as he goes back to eating. There is a crease on his forehead, and his eyebrows are pinched together. The desire to reach across the table and smooth them away is too strong. He looks up as I rub my thumb over his brow and nuzzles my palm. Deciding not to ask about the call, I go back to eating. He will tell me when he wants to.

Wad was getting dressed for class in the bathroom while I wait for him on the bed

Wad was getting dressed for class in the bathroom while I wait for him on the bed. I hope he will soon be comfortable enough not to have to hide when he dresses, but it is another thing I am not going to push. His phone buzzes again on the bed. It has rung two more times during breakfast, and he ignored it both times with the same frown. 

I turn to look at his phone, debating if I should look at the caller ID. It stops ringing as I am trying to decide. I sigh and put my head back down. Who could it be? It buzzes yet again, and this time I grab it and look at the screen. What I see takes my breath. "Father" Didn't Wad say his father has ignored him and his mom since he went and married P'Dean's mother? Why is he calling now?

I remember that bastard's parting words at the restaurant.

"I will be sure to tell my father about you and your senior!"

Fvck! Did that sick bastard tell Wad's father!?! And why does his father think he can call Wad after all this time? I know I shouldn't, but I don't want Wad to be more upset. I swipe his phone. Shit! He has a passcode. I try his code number. Fail. His birthday. Fail. I stare at the phone, begging it to unlock.

"Wad?" I yell through the bathroom door, "What is your phone passcode? I want to take a picture to put on my contact number?" Yes, I know lame, but I am not thinking at my best right now.

"0083," he calls out.

"0-0-8-3," I say as I quickly enter the number. I go to contacts blocking Wad's father's name and then go to my name. Wait. 0083? I look over at the bathroom door and can feel my face splitting in half with a smile. 0083! How did he learn my code!?! I mean, I know how I found out his, and I smile every time I use it to unlock my phone, but how did he find out mine? He walks out the door of the bathroom smiling. When he sees me, he laughs.

"What else could it be?" he comes over and gives me a quick kiss as he grabs the phone and takes a picture of me. "There." He says as he shows me my picture. I laugh, knowing that there was probably not another picture of me out there with a smile that big.

"I mean, you use mine," he says as he pockets his phone. "I should use yours." He turns to get his bag for school.

That little shit had tried his code on my phone. I can't help it. I walk up behind him and hug him. Kissing the back of his ear before I nip his earlobe. "I love you, too."

I feel the rumble of his laugh as he playfully tries to get away from me before he sighs.

"We are going to be late, and don't you have Professor Suda?" he says as he turns. I place my forehead on his and sigh.

"Yes," I pout. "Let's go."

Wad's POV

Walking behind P'Prem on the way to the elevator, I smile. This morning had been such a roller coaster for us. I believed I could bury my past, but I am beginning to realize to have my future with P'Prem, I will have to face it. My fear that Prem would leave because of my past has not happened. He reassures me every time that he will always be there, and I am beginning to believe that.

He cares enough to even worry about me smoking. I chuckle because I almost exposed P'Arthit and Kongpop when he mentioned it. I wish those two would come clean to friends already. Then realize it is not like Prem and I are truthful with our friends either. Guess that will come later.

My phone buzzes in my pocket, and I tense. I don't know why my father has started calling all of a sudden. He has not contacted me since he left to marry that woman. Why now? Did P'Dean really tell him about P'Prem and me? He keeps calling, and I keep ignoring him, just like he has ignored me for years. I pull out my phone to hit ignore when I see it is a message from my mom.

Mom: Can you come home this weekend?

It has been a while since I have been home, not wanting my mom to see the bruises, but it looks like I can't keep avoiding it. She rarely asks me to come home. Something must be up.

Mom: I need to talk to you about something.

Wad: Sure. I will come.

I look at P'Prem as we wait for the elevator. He turns and smiles, raising an eyebrow when he sees my phone.

"Mom," I answer the question. "She wants me to come home this weekend."

P'Prem nods his head, "You want me to come?"

"You want to come?" I smile. "It would help if you are there. I don't want to have to explain the bruises."

"Of course, I want to come," he says as the elevator opens. "I like your mom, and I don't think I could deal with two days without you."

"OK, we can leave after my last class tomorrow," I plan following him into the elevator, "At least it won't be awkward this time when we have to share a bed."

"No," he laughs, "No, it won't."

1437 4-6-19