Chapter 60

I rolled my eyes getting out of the car from dinner.

"Thank you." I said as Nicholas opened my door. He said a simple mmhm and closed the door.

"How was dinner?" Grandma asked me when I came into the house and I sighed.

"That doesn't sound like a blissful sigh. What's wrong?" She asked me.

"He's acting weird." I shrugged.

"Different how?" She asked me whipping down the counter top.

"He's quiet like something's still bothering him." I explained.

"Still? What happened?" She asked me and I sighed.

"I said something that I didn't mean while I was upset." I told her and she looked at me.

"Cat got your tongue now Ava? Talk girl what you said to that man?" She asked me.

I groaned knowing she gon take his side. "I said I was gonna get from another man what he won't give me."

She looked at me for a second with that 'oh you bold' look and then she laughed. "You just like me."

"What you mean grandma?" I asked her.

"I was the same way you were with your grandfather." She told me. "Men hurt me. Hurt me so bad hell my own daddy hurt me and I allowed it to cloud me and my judgement. Your grandfather and I were married for twenty two years until he decided that enough was enough. I was neglecting him. Hurting him and all because of what another man did to me." She explained to me.

"Ava when I tell you, I went through hell and back, I did and I see so much of me inside of you. Ava baby you are so sweet, and such a good girl and I just would hate for you turn out how I once was. Bitter, angry and upset at the world. When your grandfather left me, and went on to be with another I was upset and angry until one day I just thought about it. It was my fault because this man, who god clearly made for me was trying so hard for me, to win my heart and to love me but because I was so stubborn, hurt from my pass and all my wounds from it were partially healed, I let him slip away." She told me with a bit of hurt in her eyes.

"I didn't know you and papa were divorced." I said.

She laughed. "We weren't. Separated but not divorced baby. When I realized what I had done and what had happened, I fixed myself and we got back together and we were so happy. After that I got fifteen more years with my husband fifteen more years that weren't enough, but I'm thankful to God for them every single day. When he passed I was vexed. Vexed with myself because I was just getting to know him." She said shaking her head and whipping the tears that fell.

"What you mean you were just getting to know him?" I asked

She smiled. "See, what a lot of people say is don't marry when you're young because you change and grow but through your whole life no matter the age you change and you grow. Baby you flourish as a woman. You become wiser and you become stronger. Your grandfather and I married young, fresh out of high school we were so in love after only dating for maybe three or four months. No one said it would last. They are too young, they don't even know who they are yet everyone said. They said we needed to grow and learn who we were and I must say, that the best growing I did, I did with that man. So when he died, I was learning him over and I found that the more and more I learned of him, the more and more I was in love with him." She explained.

"Growing up you and grandpa was exactly what I wanted." I told her and she waved me off.

"You and Nicholas are us 2 point 0. He treats you oh so well baby and I want you to see that. I just want for you not to have to find yourself separately. I want you to grow with your husband baby. Marriage is not easy. Not by far but if you love someone. Truly truly love someone it can work." She told me