Chapter 4

"Ava. Come here please." My dad called from downstairs.

I sighed getting up from my computer and heading downstairs.

"Yes daddy." I said.

Over the past two months, I've found myself living back with my parents. Although six years ago, at the age of 18 I moved out. I went to school, and in school is where I met Derrick. After I completed culinary school and got my degree in business, I moved in with him. He would come home late at night, sometimes not at all and I was fine with that, he was a dope boy and was studying Law. Ironic right?

I didn't want him around if he had that stuff on him. To me, it wasn't cool and it damn sure wasn't okay. But I stayed, why? Because I loved him.

Now I realize that love isn't for everybody, not everybody finds that person and maybe it's just not my luck to find him. Over these past months I've learned to be okay with that. The pain of being hurt isn't worth it you know? It hurts too much to invest your all into someone just for them to turn around and say it's not good enough or I don't love you back.

"Yes daddy." I said standing in the front of him.

"You look beautiful today." He said smiling at me.

My bruises headed up nicely, and I found myself feeling better these days. I'm just about content with my life.

"Thank you." I said smiling as I tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"you're smiling again." He said grinning wildly.

"Yes daddy. I'm smiling again." I said.

"That's great. I called you down here because I wanted to know what you doing upstairs." He said.

"Figuring out what's my next move." I said with a sigh.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"What I'm going to do with my life." I explained

"Yes? And what have you come up with?" He asked

"I'm thinking about going and working with grandma at the restaurant. Maybe doing desserts until I earn enough money to open up my bakery." I said.

"Why don't you just let me give it to you and you can open it up?" He asked.

"Because I'm not earning anything that way daddy." I explained.

"Well how about I become your partner? I think it would really be good for you to just go ahead and start your own business, the market is hot for it right now. The timing is good baby girl." He bargained with me.

Truth be told, I have the money I'm just afraid of failing. What if my products aren't as good as I think they are. Derrick thought they were really bad. Hell every time I would make him something he found something wrong with it.

"What are you thinking baby girl?" He asked.

"What if I'm not good enough? Like what if my pastries aren't all that great? What if people don't like them?" I asked.

"You're great baby girl. I promise you that. But how about this, next week at the office, you come in and you bring some pastries, whatever you'd like and you see what the feed back is like. If people love it, you take the money, and you start opening your business. I'm so confident in you and I think that you should start working on marketing and things of such because you'll do great." He told me.

"Alright dad. You sure we can do that though?" I asked.

"It's my office practice Ava, I'm the big boss it'll be fine." He told me.

I smiled at him. "Alright dad. Thanks" I said.

"You're welcome sweetie. I've got to go pick up your mom but when I come back I expect a list of what you'll be bringing to the office. You know you've got to make my favorite. Those Peach Cobbler Cupcakes." He said.

I laughed. "You've got it dad. I'm going up and making a list right now." I said making my way upstairs.

A/N

Quick update, y'all really like this book but I'm warning you, the beginning will be a little ruff. Ava will be going through a lot of stuff. What do y'all think so far? What would y'all like to see? Let me know guys!

15 comments for next update!