Mama Tried

Ava was sat playing with mark in his room as the twins were having their morning nap which allowed Ava time with just mark. "So what colour is this car?" Ava asks mark as she held up a red car.

"Red." Mark says looking looking at the car that was in his moms hand as he smiled at her.

"Very good. Now what's this?" Ava asks holding up a toy Derek had gotten mark when he was born which made Ava smile as he wouldn't have been able to play with for a couple of years.

" a Boat." Mark says as he walked across and sat on Ava's lap as she pressed a kiss into his head as she looked at the boat.

"It is but this is a ferry boat. These were uncle Dereks favourite." Ava said a solemn smile on her face as mark looked up at her.

"Are you sad momma?" Mark asks as Ava smiled at mark as she wrapped her arms around him and holding him.

"No buddy mommy just misses him." Ava says as mark smiles at her.

"It's okay momma daddy says the people who go into the sky are also in here." Mark says as he point at his chest making Ava smile even more as she looked at her son in front of her. She loved seeing Marks personality shine. He was always happy and knew how to make others smile and laugh even if they were having bad day.

Ava grabbed her phone as she FaceTimed Jackson as he answered his picture popping up onto the screen as marks face lit up at the sight of his dad. "Hi daddy." Mark said as Jackson smiled.

"Hey you two what are you doing?" Jackson asks as mark holds up his boat.

"We are just playing with some of marks toys while the twins are sleeping." Ava says as Jackson smiles at her.

"Ahh well I'm glad to see you having fun." Jackson says as Ava rolls her eyes at him.

"When are you home daddy?" Mark asks as Ava looks at Jackson.

"I've got a few more people to help today but I'll be home before bedtime and I'll read you a story so you look at mommy and twins while I'm at work okay?" Jackson asks looking at his son.

"Okay daddy." Mark says as he walked over to get more of his toys.

"Hey i better go I have a surgery I love you all." Jackson says as Ava nods before ending the call as she continues to play with mark.
~
Ava had gotten a call as she thought about it before she called Catherine who was in town as she had asked if she could watch the children. She agreed straight away enjoying anytime with her grandchildren.

Ava parked her car as she got out as Arizona stood with Richard as she walked over and hugged Ava. "Thank you for this." Arizona says as Ava smiles at her.

"It's no problem this is about Sofia and I know all you want is what's best for your daughter." Ava said as Arizona nodded as they all headed inside the court room.

Ava sat listening to the rest of her friends as they each were asked questions. Ava wasn't been questioned till the following day but she wanted to be there for Sofia but also a part of her was there for mark.

Penny was questioned well by Arizona lawyer.  Ava sat as she listened to Bailey as Callie looked down as Bailey shook her head at her.
~
Ava cleaned up the house as Jackson was eating his dinner as the kids were asleep in bed. "I mean Callie's lawyer tried to use her job against her." Ava said telling Jackson about the case.

"Well what do they expect she's a fetal surgeon. I mean you can't control when women have babies I mean look at the twins you gave birth to them in a elevator." Jackson says smiling as Ava rolls her eyes at him.

"I know but it's done now I have no idea what they could ask me." Ava says as Jackson walked over wrapping his arms around her.

"No matter what just tell the truth. Like you said your doing all this for Sofia and Mark." Jackson says as he kisses her as she kisses him back.
~
Ava sat through Meredith questioning as they spoke about Dereks death which made Ava look up at Arizona. She didn't expect them to mention Derek but they did for Meredith and could for her.

It was Ava's turned there were just her and Webber left she sat as Arizona's lawyer walked towards her a small smile on her face. "Dr Shepherd-Avery you are Sofias godmother correct?" The lawyer asks her.

"That's correct." Ava replied as she looked up.

"You were close to Sofias father correct? " She asks Ava as she smiles slightly at the thought of Mark.

"Yeah that's correct." Ava says as she nods at her.

"Your own son is named after Sofia father mark sloan is he not?" She asks her.

"Yeah he is Mark meant was my husbands mentor and I grew up with him he was like a brother to me." Ava says as the lawyer nods.

"Do you believe Sofias father would want her moved across the country?" The lawyer asks as Ava looks up seeing Arizona and Callie both watching her.

"I think Mark would want what's best for his daughter. All he ever would wanted was for her to be happy and loved. And I know Sofia is very happy and loved from both of her parents and everyone around her." Ava says as the lawyer nods at her.

"Thank you. No further questions your honour." The lawyer said as Arizona smiled at Ava as Callie's lawyer got up.
~
Ava was questioned by Callie's lawyer which wasn't anything bad. Callie and Arizona were each taking the stand but Ava headed home for the kids as she awaited to her the outcome.

Ava was feeding Daisy as she had already put Harry down in his bassinet as mark was playing with is toys on her bed. Jackson walked in as he was getting ready work.

"Hey have you heard anything yet?" Jackson asks as he kisses her and then kisses Daisy on her head.

"No not yet." Ava says as she finished feeding Daisy and put her in her own bassinet beside Harry as she smiled down at the twins.

Jackson wrapped his arms around Ava placing small kisses on to her shoulders. "Are you okay?" Jackson asks her.

"Yeah it's just I just want what's best for Sofia. Mark would have hated all of this. I just hope we never experience anything like this." Ava says as her phone vibrates.

"Arizona got sole custody." Ava said looking at Jackson relief washing over her that it was all finally over.