Bad memories

Ava walks into the waiting room as Jackson had paged her.

"Hey what's up?" She asks him as she sees all the doctors before her attention is on the tv.

"Major Seattle area shooting. We have reports
that a gunman has opened fire on students and faculty." The news reporter says as Jackson moves behind Ava as he wraps his arms around her waist pulling her closer to him.

"It'll be okay." He whispers to her as she nods her head not taking her eye of the tv.
-
"There are 15 ambulances on the way,maybe more to come.First one is three minutes out." Owen fills them in as Jackson holds Ava's hand giving it a squeeze as she looks at him.

"People, people.Our own trauma is fresh and
we are gonna have feelings today,and there's no shame in that.What I want to say is what we went through six months ago,they are going through right now.Which makes them our brothers and sisters.Which makes them fellow travelers.Which makes them our own.So, to the very best of our ability, we are gonna do our work first,and you're gonna have your feelings later." Richard gives them a speech as Lexie is sobbing Beside Ava as she looks at her friend.

"Grey?" Owen says to Lexie.

"I'm fine." She tells him as they all look at her. "I'm fine!"

"Go to the pit and make sure we're stocked. Call the blood bank..." mark tries to tell her.

"I'm fine." Lexie tells him.

"Call the blood bank.Tell them to give us
all the O neg they have." Mark tells her as she head inside as an ambulance arrives.

"I got a cop, Michael Fazioli, 28,GSW to the right upper arm and left leg." The paramedic tells Richard.

"OK, this one's mine. Shepherd." He calls to Ava as she goes over to him.

"Chief Webber." The officer says as he climbs out of the ambulance with one of his men.

"Sarge?" Richard says as he looks at the patient and then at Ava.

"All right, Shepherd, get him to trauma one. Get labs, trauma series and X-ray this leg and arm." He tells Ava as she takes the gurney inside with the paramedics.

"OK." She says as she head in.

"This is the cop that took down the shooter." The sarge tells Richard.

"You're kidding." Richard exclaims to the sarge.

"No, he was on the radio,he told me he landed a shot, then he went down.I've got conflicting reports about what the shooter looked like.If you could wake Faz up and get him talking..." the sarge asked Richard as they follow Ava and the officer.

"Faz?" Richard asks confused at the nickname.

"Mike Fazioli. He's a good kid.Great cop. One of ours" the sarge corrects himself as Richard nods entering the trauma room.
-
"He's got some blood in his chest, but the bullet's not there.It's not in his leg or in his arm.Shepherd?" He asks Ava as she works on the patient.

"Uh... Uh...We should put in a chest tube
and get more studies to see what damage we're dealing with." Ava tells him as she looks at the scans.

"Is there any chance we can wake him up
while we're waiting for the studies?" The sergeant asks Richard.

"I could reverse his pain meds, but it would be a pretty traumatic awakening.He'd be in a lot of pain." Richard tells him.

"I'm getting all sorts of conflicting reports as to what this shooter looks like.Kids in shock, they don't remember, but cops are trained to remember.I don't know if there's a second
shooter, if this is some kind of plot.But until I have a positive ID, I've got nothing.Believe me, Faz would rather feel some pain if he can ID the shooter for me." The sergeant tells Richard as he nods his head.

"OK, I'll reverse the meds. Shepherd, let's set up the chest tube." Richard tells Ava as she nods her head.
-
"All right, he's ready." Ava tells them.

"I'm gonna push the naloxone.He's gonna wake up and he's gonna hurt.So talk quick, OK?" Richard instructs the sergeant.

"Ready." He tells Richard as the patient wakes up coughing.

"Faz. It's Marty. Can you hear me?" The sergeant says to the patient as he groans in pain.

"Oh, God, it hurts." The officer groans in pain as the machine begins beeping.

"Oh, God!" He continues to groan in pain.

"Faz, I need you to describe the shooter.Can you do that for me, bud?" The sergeant asks the officer As he groan badly in pain.
-
"Come on, come on, come on. Press on the
cricoid more. I can't see the cords.Come on, Faz, stay with me!" Ava says as she works on the patient as Richard walks in.

"Shepherd?" Richard asks Ava as she continues to work.

"His vitals started dropping.X-rays were clear, no bullet,so I did an ultrasound, found blood in the belly." Ava tells Richard.

"Chief, you should stay in that trauma room. There are no ORs.Get the chief an anesthesiologist." Hunt orders as Ava and Richard share a look.

"What?I got a cop with blood in his belly.The same cop that took down the shooter!You're saying I have to operate on him in the trauma room?" Richard says to Owen.

"I'm saying it's your best option right now." Owen tells him as the officers machine starts beeping.

"Sir, his pressure's dropping!" Ava tells Richard.

"Hunt, I hope you know what you're doing." Richard says to him.

"Yes, sir. So do I." Owen says.

"Shepherd, lock him down in there and get me a major procedures tray now." Richard orders Ava as they take the patient back into the trauma room.

"OK." Ava says as she does as he says.
-
"How are you doing Shepherd?" Webber asks her as they work on the officer.

"I'm fine sir." She tells him. "I'm good." She says as he nods his head.
-

"He's fine." Richard tells the sergeant as her and Ava walks out of the room.

"Oh, God!- Oh, my God. You kidding me?" The sergeant exclaims.

"It was touch and go for a while,but he's gonna be fine." Richard tells him as Ava smiles.

"Thank you.Thank you." The sergeant says to Richard as he shares his hand.

"And, um... let's stop meeting like this, Marty." Richard tells him.

"Oh, please, God." He sighs

"Please, God." Richard sighs.
-
Ava sat beside Jackson in the observation deck as they watched Cristina and Teddy work on the shooter.

"We saw 26 patients.Twenty-six victims.And we had no casualties.No one died." Richard sighs as they all had solemn face and some were sobbing.

As Ava shared a look with her brother they burst out laughing until everyone was laughing.

"I hate this place." Stark says as he leaves making them laugh harder.

"I was holding a grudge.I can hire you back.
But you're gonna have to work under Stark." Richard tells Arizona as they all laugh again.