Night shift

Ava was awoken as she felt Jackson moving around beside her before he began to scream making her shoot up as she turned to him.

"Jackson, hey wake up, Jackson wake up." She says as she tried to wake him up.

"Where's Charles? Charles!Where's Charles?" He panicked as he shot up in bed as Lexie walked into their room.

"Hey. Hey, hey! Stop.It's Ava. Jackson Wake up." Ava tells him as she wraps her arms around his neck as his wrap around her waist and he buries his head into the side of her neck.

"It's time for work." Jackson says as he pulls out of her embrace and walks out of the room past Lexie as Ava turns to Lexie who give her a small smile and sits on the bed.

"Everything okay?" Lexie asks Ava.

Ava smiles slightly. "Everything is fine lex we need to get ready for work." Ava says as she picks out her clothes.
-
Ava quickly changes into her scrubs as she drove herself to work and got their before the rest of them.

She walks to the front desk as she sees the attending waiting for the rest of the residents.

"How come your here earlier then the rest of them?" Mark asks her.

"They all take so long get ready so they carpool." Ava tells them as the residents arrive.

"Did you just yawn?Was that a yawn?" Mark asks April as they stand beside Ava.

"Don't tell us you're tired after getting to sleep all day." Teddy tells them.

"It's not as easy as it sounds." April says quietly.

"Not easy? Not...When I was a resident, I actually worked for a living.I did every other night call for five years." Bailey tells the residents.

"There were days I didn't go home for 72 hours. I loved it." Stark tells them.

"As you trudged through the snow while you whittled your own scalpels." Alex mumbles as the residents snickered.

"Sorry, I didn't quite catch that, Karev." Stark says to Alex as the residents try to hide their laughter.

"Uh, Karev, I need you to follow up on my post-ops,and here, take this research, divide out all the fistula cases." Bailey tells Alex.

"Avery, Shepherd and Little Grey, Hunt is waiting for you in the pit." Teddy tells Ava, Lexie and Jackson as they nod their heads.

"All right. Try not to screw up our patients.Good night. And good luck." Callie says to the residents.

"We'll be over at the bar.Try not to need us." He tells them as the residents go to their jobs.
-
"Everybody else is stable. Watch ICU bed 12, he may need to be intubated.And call me if there are any major traumas. Avery?" Hunt says as he call Jackson over.

"How you feeling?" Owen asks him as Ava and Lexie read over their patients charts.

"What, my hand? It's fine.Just a little bruised." Jackson tells him assuming he was talking about the fight with Alex.

"I'm not talking about your hand.Trauma demands a cool head.If you're not up to this..." Owen tries to tell him before Jackson cuts him off.

"No, I'm good. Thanks. Karev and I are cool, that's, uh... over.Out of my system." Jackson tries to reassure him.

"You don't have to prove anything here.If you need a couple shifts off..." Owen suggests as Jackson shut down the suggestion quickly.

"I said I'm good, sir." Jackson tells him.

"All right.I'm... I'm not asking you to talk to me.I'm telling you, talk to someone.You got me?" Hunt says as he looks at Ava as Jackson does too before turning back to Owen.

"Have a good night, sir." Jackson tells him as he goes back to the desk.

"Shepherd over here." Owen calls Ava over.

"Do you need something Dr Hunt?" Ava asks him as she see Jackson watching her.

"I'm putting you in charge tonight and keep an eye on Avery. And you page me if anything comes in." Owen tells her as she nods her head before returning back to her work.
-

"Dr. Avery, come take a look at this." A nurse says as Jackson checks on the other patient.

"Yeah.Call Hunt." Jackson says just as Ava walks tying her trauma gown.

"He's on his way. The E.R is under control we need to keep them stable." Ava tells them as they nod their head before she share a look with Jackson.
-
"Shepherd, Avery, what do you have?" Owen asks Jackson and Ava as they work on the other brother.

"Large gaping wound to the abdomen." Jackson tells him.

"Looks like something sliced right through him, debris inside." Ava adds as her and Jackson continue to work on the patient.

"We need to get in there." Jackson tells him.

"Book an OR!" Hunt tells them as Ava nods her head.

"Reilly? Reilly, talk to me!" Lucas shouts to his brother.

"Reilly can't talk right now,OK, buddy? He's got a tube in his throat to help him breathe." Ava explains to Lucas.

"Reilly, I'm right here! All right?" Lucas says to his brother.

"Put more pressure on that.Lean in there. Pack it, pack it!" Hunt tells his team.

"We were gonna be late, so I ran it.Funny, right?We didn't want to get in trouble
with Mom.So I... I go back to school,picking him up after band practice.
We're halfway home, he forgets his stupid saxophone.He forgets everything!Everything!" Lucas tells Jackson and Ava as his brother crashes and owen and Lexie try to get him back.

"I know it was stupid.The guard rails had just come down.I thought we could make it.It's my fault. Please.Please. He's my little brother!
He's... he's little..." lucas tells them as Ava holds his squeezing it to reassure him.

"They're working on him.OK? I just need you to take it easy. All right? Take it easy." Jackson tells him.

"He's gonna be all right, right?" Lucas asks looking at Ava as she gives him a small smile.

"Time of death, 20:48." Ava and Jackson hear as they share a look.

"Dr. Hunt, we need to intubate him and get him to the OR now!" Jackson says as Lucas gets worse.

Ava had stayed to cover the E.R as Hunt, Jackson and Lexie took Lucas up to surgery.
-
Ava finishes her shift and was home before the rest of the residents as she drove herself.

As she laid on her bed she drifted asleep for a few minutes until she woke up to her door opening as Jackson walked in.

"Hey." He smiled at her as she opened her eyes slightly.

"Hey. How was the surgery?" Ava asks him as he lays beside her.

"It was good I practically pulled an entire car out of the guy he's lucky though. Lexie kind of had a go at me." Jackson says as Ava looks at him.

"About what?" She asks as she strokes his face.

"About you I know I've been pushing you away I shouldn't have and I'm sorry for waking you up with my nightmares." Jack apologies to her as she gives him a soft smile.

"It's okay. And I'm always here for you." She tells Jackson as he kisses her.