~𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 66~

chapter 66
———

Third Person POV
"Lucas and I grew up together in this dirty old foster home some years back in EastPort" Zane started. "The only wish that I had ever had was to be adopted by a big family so I could finally be happy. But Lucas would always shut me down, saying that no family could handle a child who yearns for affection all the time."

Zane pulled out a silver necklace from his shirt.

"One day, the director had introduced me to this family of four, Alisha's family, that were apparently looking for one more child" Zane continued. "And for the first time in my life, I was happy to be wanted and loved by a family. So happy that I didn't even look back when I left the old building. But looking back now, I regret everything. Even when I had changed my name to Zane Albatross."

"Why?" Xena muttered.

"Alisha's family....turned out to be a bunch of rich, low life bastards" Zane gritted out. "They ruined communal businesses, bought out their clothes, and then burn the ones they hated the most while spoiling their two kids with stuff they tried profiting off as their own. All so they could get their money. What's worse was....every time I tried to apologize for their actions, Alisha would starve me as punishment, saying that I don't deserve to eat something she worked so hard to get."

Zane stroked the silver horse charm on his necklace.

"Anyways, it was only for three months before I decided to run away" Zane explained. "But I just...couldn't bring myself to pack anything. Not because I didn't know what to pack, but more of I didn't own anything there. The money they got, the clothes they stole, it was all theirs. I didn't wanna carry around memories of them, so I....didn't take anything with me besides my sneakers. I wandered around WestPort for a few days until one day, I found myself in a hospital. The doctor who nursed me back to health was also the person who found me lying on the snowy ground. It was Ms. L."

Everyone listened in silence as Zane spoke about his past.

"I vividly remember when I had asked her why she saved me and didn't just let me freeze like all the other people who side eyed me" Zane continued. "Instead, she gave me a hug. She didn't answer my question but that hug was enough to make me cry, so I did. I cried, knowing that there was someone out there who cared for me, would take care of me, someone who....loved me."

A stray tear fell from his eye but Zane wiped it away quickly.

"Sorry, I probably look pathetic right now" Zane chuckled. "Crying over my past like a baby."

Xena got up from her bed, walking in front of Zane on his bed. Out of nowhere, she embraced him in a big hug as he sat there with wide eyes.

"It's okay to cry" Xena said. "No one's over your shoulder, judging you. So, don't let people's words and actions get in the way of what you want in your life."

Zane slowly wrapped his arms around Xena, embracing her hug as he buried his face into the crook of her neck.

"Thank you Xena, I didn't know how much I needed that" Zane mumbled. "I guess long story short, I got to spend time with Sin's family until they officially adopted me and well...now I'm here."

Jane put her hand on Zane's shoulder. "And I'm glad to have you as my family."

"...I'm sorry you had to go through that" Isaac apologized. "I had no idea you went through such trauma by how outgoing you presume yourself to be."

"It's not your fault, Isaac." Zane started twirling Xena's hair as he laid his head on her shoulder as she sat next to him. "If I'm being honest, I'm glad Alisha treated me poorly. Because of that, I was able to find a good adoptive family."

"I'm happy that you're here today" Xena smiled. "Thank you for trusting us with with your story, Zane."

Zane looked up at her, giving her a small smile.

"...Do you have a story, Xena?" Emma asked.

Xena was taken back.

"Yes...I do, but it doesn't have a heartfelt ending like you guys have" Xena answered.

"Why do you say that?" Jane asked.

Xena looked down to her hands. "Well, because I can't get back what I lost in my past."

"What you...lost?" Zane asked.

Xena nodded. "In fact, Lyone is the reason why I lost everything I ever cared about and turned into the gothic nobody you all know today."

"Wait, you knew Lyone before?" Zane asked.

"We used to be friends, actually" Xena answered. "He used to be so nice to everyone, including me."

"Wait wait wait, this isn't adding up" Emma pointed out. "I know Lyone's a douche and all, but at least one of you would have had to remember seeing this, right? Right?"

Xena didn't answer.

"—No" Sofia answered. "Xena wrote on a slip at the beginning of the school year, saying she only came here during her sophomore year. Which means, everything changed during your freshman year, didn't it?"

Everyone turned to Xena.

"Yeah" Xena answered.

"Then...what did Lyone do that changed your entire life forever?" Emma asked.

Xena balled up her fists, her face scrunching up in a pained expression as she looked down to her lap.

"Lyone....raped me" Xena mumbled.

Everyone was left in total shock as they heard the words that came out of Xena's mouth. They didn't know whether they wanted to scream, throw up, or cry. They just....sat there, shell shocked and horrified.

"HE WHAT?" Zane angrily asked.