~𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 62~

chapter 62
———

Nathan's POV
"Miss Lillian~" Jane skipped over to Mom as Mom sipped her green tea on the couch.

"How may I help you?" Mom asked.

Jane smiled ear to ear. "You know what's in a few days, right?"

"...No, what?" Mom asked.

"Guess" Jane suggested.

Mom put her cup down, tapping her chin as her eyes fluttered closed.

"Is it....oh, your Spring Break?" Mom asked.

"Bingo" Jane answered. "And...have you seen our grades yet?"

Mom sighed. "Let me guess. You all have A's?"

Jane's smile seemed to get even bigger.

Mom shook her head. "To think that you would only get A's when you are bribed with something you want. Alright, fine. You can have your Spring Break getaway."

"YES!" Jane cheered. "Thank you, Miss Lillian!"

"Yes, we're having a getaway?" Nora asked, coming down the stairs.

"Uh no, we are having a getaway" I clarified. "You are staying with Lori."

"Aw, why?!" Nora whined.

"Because we're adults and don't need to be babysitting you every time we go somewhere" I answered.

Nora crossed her arms. "You've been waiting to throw that line around."

"Yup" I answered. "Don't worry, Norm and Sophie are gonna comfort you til then."

"Oh, in that case, enjoy!" Nora pulled out her phone. "...Norm, Sophie, guess what I just heard!"

I shook my head. "She really turned into a gossip girl."

"Oh, let her be" Mom advised. "At least she finally has friends to talk to."

"Yeah, I guess" I shrugged.

"...The food's done!" Lucas said from the kitchen.

"Oh, just in time" Mom said. "Nora, dinner's ready!"

Jane and I walked into the kitchen first to see Lucas washing his hands in the sink. The white, large plate on the counter steamed as the food on the stove did simultaneously.

"Ooh, this looks new" Jane pointed out. "What is it?"

"I think it was called a...sloppy joe grilled cheese" Lucas answered. "One of Valentino's master pieces."

"Smells good" Zane complimented. "You finally learned to cook something other than spaghetti?"

"If you're not gonna eat it, then I suggest you leave right now" Lucas groaned.

"Hey hey, no need to do anything hasty" Zane defended, picking up a plate.

"Only grilled cheese for each of you" Lucas instructed. "There's no telling how many can be shared afterwards and I don't need any complaints today."

I picked up one grilled cheese and poured myself some fruit juice before sitting down at the table.

"So, I forgot to ask this since yesterday so I'll just ask now" Mom started. "How did laser tag go?"

"It was great actually" Zane answered, picking up his grilled cheese. "Though, that might be our last time going there."

Mom tilted her head to the side. "Why do you say that?"

"Well, since we're all eighteen now" Zane clarified. "It would be best to start getting into a serious tone before we start getting full time jobs, you know."

"Hey, enjoy your youth while you still have it" Mom advised. "Because if I could go back, I would've chosen the relaxing lifestyle first over the overworking boss lifestyle."

"Speaking of lifestyles, how're the house improvements going?" Jane switched the subject.

"The construction workers are still working in hours to make the extra designs perfect" Mom explained. "Plus, your father has been taking out some money from our savings to get the jet we always rented to be used as our personal form of travel."

"Dad never misses opportunities, does he?" I asked.

"So, the jet will be officially ours?" Nora asked.

"Mhm, the company name branded on it and all"  Mom nodded.

"Sweet, no more going through TSA and having them steal my lotions" Nora cheered.

"I still don't know why you need that much lotion for small trips" I shook my head.

"To sell them, duh" Nora answered. "I need to make my own money, somehow."

"Charging fifteen dollars for a three dollar, store bought bottle of lotion is not business. It's a rip off" I clarified. "Who knows what extra ingredients they put in there."

"Then, what do you suggest I do?" Nora asked.

"I don't know, make it from scratch?" I suggested. "Put your flower knowledge to use and use them to make natural smelling lotions. Or better, perfume that actually lasts longer."

"A...actually, that's not a bad idea" Nora pointed out. "Thanks, Nat."

"I hate you" I grumbled.

"Back to the topic at hand, have you decided where we would be staying?" Jane asked.

"Since I don't feel like renting anymore, I decided to use our lake house" Mom answered.

"Really, Mom? You pick a lake house and yet you hate the nature around it?" I asked. "Are you doing this on purpose?"

"Look, it's the best option we have" Mom defended. "So, don't complain."

Nathan shook his head.