Merlin One-Shots!!

By smolgaybean_

I will take any suggestions. if you have an au you love please message me and I will gladly write a story for... More

Hunting trip
Family
Reveal
The lost Prince of Anahaven
Life after Camlann
Defying destiny
Storm
Beauty and the Bestie
Flowers
Flowers part 2
The boy who sat by the lake
Stupid Laws part two
Stupid Laws part three
Gwaine
So many secrets
Butterfly Wing
Scars and Bruises
Monster
Party
Friends with benefits
Another Reveal
Don't touch him, understand?
Starting over
Innuendo
New friend
Love is hard
Tavern trip
Nightmare
Here for you
Everybody wants to rule the world
I didn't think you cared
Big Brother
My King, my destiny
Highschool bullies
Heart of a dragon
Heart of a dragon #2
Heart of a dragon #3
Coffee dates
Risen
lady of the lake
Magic Bois
Cold Shoulder
Stolen
Only you
Royal Blood
For you
Midnight confessions
Dysfunctional family
The monster in a cage
its a date
Drinking stories
just gonna leave this here
Imposter
Curse
Fighter
Fellas, I think I killed a god...?
Just Friends eh?
WHAT ON EARTH IS HAPPENING
I guess I am a father now
Parade
In over his head
Another one?
Coming of age
The Thief
We fell in love in October
Mr Loverman
As the world caves in
Eyes like burning gold
Symphony
Snapshot
Here for you
Banquets and Bruises
Group chat
Temptation of the Knight
Something domestic
water fights
Shadow Oracle #1
Shadow Oracle #2
Venus' book
Stories of the past

Stupid Laws

2.7K 76 18
By smolgaybean_

Another magic reveal. A lot of plot twists.

---

Merlin's POV

I can't breathe. My body is frozen to the spot, staring at the figure in my doorway. Books, buckets and clothes are scattered around my chambers, previously animated and completing my chores. My mouth opens and closes but no sound comes out. Disgust is etched onto my friends face making my stomach churn.

"Guards!" Arthur roars, his voice cracking ever so slightly. Never once did he break eye contact. Not even when I was forcefully dragged from my chambers.

This shouldn't be happening. This can't be happening. I was so careful. Arthur had given me the day off. What was he doing in my chambers? If he hadn't of come barging in nothing would have changed.

I am so stupid.

The cold damp cell is small and restrictive, the chains that bind me to the wall even more so.

The chains are that of Cenrids designs, restricting the use of magic when they are attached. I can feel the weak thrum of magic in my chest, wishing to be set free. Try as I might I cannot fight the power of the restraints.

I huddle myself into the corner, tucking my knees into my chest protectively. Only then do I let the emotion out.

A scream of terror and frustration pierces the silent dungeons. Not that anyone would hear me. I have been placed in the deepest part of the prison, almost as deep as the Great Dragons cage.

Is that how they see me now? A ferocious creature of magic that needs to be captured, tortured then killed. Has the royal prat really forgotten all I have done for him, both out of duty and loyalty (and a bit of love but Arthur need never know that.)

My scream seemed to have shaken the very foundations of the castle as dust bloomed from cracks in the walls. At least some of my magic remains. Dust shimmered in the faint glow of a torch, my only remaining light source.

I sob into my knees, willing this all to be a nightmare. I will wake up in my bed, or on a hunting trip safe and cared for.

Wake up Merlin, wake up.

Footsteps draw closer, slow and menacing. I push myself into the wall trying to hide myself from view. Of course it doesn't work.

Arthur comes up to the bars, tear stains evident on his face. Once again I am rendered speechless, unable to explain to my best friend the reason for my betrayal. That's what this is after all...isn't it?

"Why Merlin. After all this time why you. Why did it have to be you." Arthur yelled, slamming his hand against the metal bars to emphasize his anger. I flinch at his venomous tone, but the underlying sadness forces me to speak.

"I'm sorry Arthur, I wish I wasn't like this truly I do. I am a monster, a freak of nature. All I ever wanted to do was protect you but I have failed, failed Camelot. Failed my destiny. Failed you. Kill me now and be done with it, I deserve to die."

I shuffle closer to the bars, head dropped and hands behind my back. Completely vulnerable.

"Merlin look at me." Arthur says, his tone softer than before but still holding anger that may never dissolve. "Yes I feel betrayed, and extremely angry. But you haven't failed me. I am torn of what to do. You think I didn't notice the branches that would mysteriously fall on attacking parties, or the way bandits would fly back without being touched. I realize that was you, and I am forever grateful for your protection. But by law you are a traitor. I can't defy that."

More tears stream down my face. I grip the bars tightly, Arthur's hands slide down to cover my own. He kneels down so we are eye level, his crystal eyes full of sorrow.

He understands but is going to kill me anyway. I should have known. Arthur would never break the law, not even for me. But there is still a chance to change his mind.

"I know the law says magic is evil, but it's wrong. It's not the magic that is evil, but the person who wields it. Magic is like a sword. It can win wars and protect innocents. But can also bring death and destruction to any who crosses it. In the right hands magic will bring peace to this land. That's my destiny, to help you restore magic to Albion. If you kill me I know that all my efforts have been in vain. Set me free and there is still hope for the future."

Arthur's face switches from sorrow to confusion to understanding in a matter of seconds.

"I know what I must do. I will be back soon I promise. I must first speak with the council."

My heart speeds up as Arthur runs down the corridor. Have I done it? Have I secured the future of Albion?

Only time will tell.

---

Hours pass when thundering footsteps echo down the hall. Three guards flock to my cell, unlocking it and yanking me off the ground.

"King Arthur requests your presence." One of the men states.

I am semi-pulled through the castle, receiving a mixture of hateful and pitiful glances from passers by. We stop outside the throne room.

I can hear the buzz from the audience inside. Nerves wrack through me, making me shake uncontrollably. The doors are swung open and a chorus of gasps emerge from the crowd.

Gaius looks as if he is about to faint when he sees me shoved to my knees in front of Arthur.

"Merlin Ambrosious, you have been changed with the use of sorcery and treason. However, looking back at your use of magic and how you only ever used it to protect me and my Knights, I am willing to make a deal." Arthur steps down and tilts my head up, much to the dislike of the noblemen in the room. "Leave Camelot. You may return in three months were the ban on magic will be lifted. Until the you must find a safe place to reside."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I settle for a weak smile and a nod that hopefully conveys all my hidden emotion. The crowd bursts in protest to the king's sudden announcement to which they are met with a steely cold stare.

"I have thought this thorough endlessly. Anyone who does not agree with the abolishment of the unjust law can leave Camelot. I will not tolerate this discriminatory behaviour any longer. My father made people like Merlin suffer enough. It's time for that to end." The crowd went eerily silent. The only people who shared my joy was Gaius, the knights of the round table and Gwen.

A pair of Knights picked me up and led me down to my chambers, giving me until the end of the day to leave Camelot.

Gaius and Gwen helped me packed, shedding many years in the process. I ensured them I will be safe, knowing that if I go to the druids they will supply me with all the necessities to survive.

A knock at the door at around midday caused me to size in terror. When Arthur walked in I physically relaxed and gave him a half-hearted smile.

"I am truly sorry Merlin. I tried to get them to allow you to stay, but they just wouldn't see reason. I am in for hell in the next meeting. But I assure you, by the end of these three months you will be welcomed back with open arms."

"Thank you Arthur. I am going to miss this place. Guess you are stuck with George for now!" I quipped, trying to lighten the mood. Needless to say it doesn't work.

"I am going to miss you Merlin." Arthur whispered embracing me tightly. I returned the hug, fighting the butterflies in my stomach.

"And I you Arthur."

"I wish you didn't have to go."

"Me too, but we will see each other in three months."

I pulled away and sling my packed bag over my shoulder. I headed for my door but was stopped by a gentle tug on my wrist.

Arthur spun me gently around and placed a chaste kiss on my forehead.

"Magic isn't the only law I plan to revoke." The blush that rose to my cheeks was fierce. I couldn't help but touch the spot that he kissed, making the king chuckle.

"I know everyone think I am oblivious, but I am not stupid. I catch those looks you send me, I am surprised you never noticed mine I return."

"You- you...I...what?" The ability to speak seems to abandon me and as stand staring at the blonde haired prat.

"I love you Merlin."

"I love you too." I whisper back, placing a light kiss on Arthur's cheek. "This really wasn't the best time to do this. I have just been banished for three months and we do this now!?" I exclaim, teasing the now blushing king.

"Yeah yeah, I just couldn't wait that long. Now go, I don't want you to be dragged out by guards."

We walk together as long as possible. We make it to the courtyard before Arthur is swarmed by Knights, swords raised protectively.

With a sad smile I walk through the gates and away from the citadel. I fight back tears as I trudge through the lower town, managing to tune out the jeers from some of the elder citizens.

Once at the final gate I look back at Camelot, my home. I spot a red dot standing on one of the battlements. I smile and wave, even though he can't see me.

Teary eyed I face the forest and let out a shuddery breath. This is it. I just have to survive these three months then I can come home.

I can do that.

I can do this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353K 10.6K 43
Based on Series 1 of Merlin. Blue hues dance unforgiving circles, fiercer than the deepest seas, turning golden in the wake of unforgivable fear. Th...
12.7K 448 7
A collection of oneshots circling around our favorite young warlock through various parts of the series. Always complete! Requests are available, but...
18.3K 913 19
Prince Merlin au. Very angsty but has a very fluffy ending! disclaimer i do not own any of these characters
668K 17.3K 82
We all know Merlin. But what if he had a sister? What if she had an even greater destiny and powers than him? What if she falls in love with the one...