Days of Remembrance 1

Many Years Ago . . .

Like the many Siracusan wolves that had come before her, the forest was where Lappland was born. It was her first home, meant to be the only place she'd ever need to survive, to be happy in. The generations before her had each grown up in these woods, found love and continued the pack in the hidden groves known only to them. It was a simple life, one filled with loyalty and love. Lappland grew up in this peaceful community --because despite their supposed brutality in comparison to the so called "civilized packs" they incited violence only when necessary-- and thought she would live there forever.

But one night changed all that.

She had never known before that night this was even possible, but like all fires, like all sprays of blood upon the bitter ground life-changing occurrences could and would happen, even to someone meant to be as set on one path as her. Lappland knew tradition. Anything else was an unknown variable as dangerous as those burning flames.

"We may be called monsters but they're the ones to blame."

It was far from wrong to say wolves from different groups weren't fans of one another. Perhaps it was a sense of loyalty, or maybe just the warnings from the wolves of old. But Lappland was drinking in every word even from a young age, so when her parents and pack were taken from her she had known there was to be no one left for her in this world. Her only task was to take vengeance for the lives lost. If she somehow managed to survive the process there would be no purpose for her, at least, none she wanted to follow. Because how could she start a new pack with just one wolf? How would one even go about dreaming of starting over when there was seemingly nothing left for her to give.

Inconceivable. Impossible.

Her body ached as much as her heart when the work was done. With those wolves freshly dead and the flames threatening to engulf her if she remained, Lappland left the only family she had ever known. Blood dripped from her wounds unbidden, eyes glassy with pain as she dragged herself out of that mess of a forest. And when she finally did sleep that night those dreams were of nothing but solid darkness and echoing screams. The next day had her feeling as hollow as the night before, but still she continued onwards. Hunger gnawed at her, though the appetite she had left was so painful that Lappland did not dare to eat, thoughts a whirling mess of despair and bludgeoned hope as her eyes stung. More than her feet were aching when she reached the lights of the upcoming city.

Unaware that her grieving steps would lead her to a new home.

Not to mention the wolf she would love.

****

It was with a spark of bewilderment that she regarded meeting Texas for the first time. The other young wolf hadn't seemed to care about their cultural differences, did not kill her on sight like she might have expected. Instead Texas treated her with kindness, dragging her to what turned out to be a mansion.

And everything was fuzzy after that point, aside from Texas getting embarrassed. That red painted flush would imprint in her mind as a favorable reaction, as would the shy smile the other girl gave her when she was abashed.

The next day was far more memorable.

Probably because it was the first time she really began to feel alive again.

Something she didn't think possible after her parents' deaths.

"Do you like it? I can go get more if you do." Texas murmured.

Lappland thirstily gulped down the glass of orange liquid presented to her, the tangy taste refreshing in its coldness. Bacon flecked the corners of her mouth, the plate in front of her practically licked clean. Dinner the night before had been taken just as hungrily, mindset still trained with the mentality to each as much as possible while it was available to her.