Days of Remembrance 7

A/N: Incoming protective Lappland report. Incoming possessive behavior and jealousy mwahaha. Also, swear words (because these are teenagers let them live a little). Enjoy!

*****************************

Wham!

Lappland felt immense satisfaction as her fist went straight into the male's face. If this was a video game it would be a perfect hit, knocking out the opponent without another second's thought. But as this was not a video game she was able to see it all. The brief shock on his face followed swiftly by pain, but it was Texas's gasp which brought any satisfaction she had straight to a screeching halt.

That look of surprise . . .

It morphed into disappointment.

Her own eyes widened, retracting her fist as all her attention was back on Texas. This was far from unusual, but the expression was not. It left her swept off with a blast of cold, seeping deep inside her veins. But unlike so many chills this one stayed there. An angry vulture lashed out at her, it's biting grip trying to nab at all her insecurities.

She'll find someone else, someone better than you, someone who belongs here.

You don't belong here. You don't belong here.

You don't belong here Lappland.

But surely this was wrong?

Because Texas did want her here.

But why else would she be with this guy, following along with the status quo if she didn't think there was a chance of finding something better? For that she had no answer. Though there were other problems to worry about. Problems like the male Texas had been talking to glaring at her with a look of outrage.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!"

And the anger in her rose. "Nothing's wrong with me except you having your filthy hands all over her." All over what's mine. She waved a fist at Texas, growling with the ugliest of rage. In that moment those doubts were overshadowed by the pain of what would happen if Texas was taken from her.

"Lappland," Texas barked out a warning.

But alas, it was too late.

"How dare you say that to me!!"

Her punch was quickly returned. Lappland barely had the time to block it with her hand. Wrist groaning with effort, crying out from the strain, it had been near impossible to keep such a heavy hit from striking her face. With ringing ears and blood pulsing Lappland let her wild side out as the punch was returned with a snapping attack.

******

Texas was shaking her head even as she carefully wrapped the bandages around her wrist. Lappland winced at the tightened hold they had on her from Texas's ministrations, doing her best to avoid the disappointment in that amber-blue gaze. They were allowed to go home —early— thanks to her debacle, and while a large part of her felt vindicated in her display of possession, there was another part of her reminded of how disconnected from this community she really was.

"I can understand hitting, even trying to drag me aside. But you punched him, and then bit him when he tried to fight back." Texas dragged her free hand expertly over her busted lip. The stinging would no doubt produce swollen skin, but for now there was the reminiscent metallic tang from when she sank her teeth into his exposed shoulder.

Because how dare he. How. Dare. He. Touch. What's. Mine.

Maybe she was being too possessive? Texas seemed to think so. But who knew just how city wolves viewed things? Out in the wild, claiming what you wanted was a rite of passage, regardless of gender. It was one way in which wolves were considered equals. But there was the matter of size difference to consider too . . . Her own parents had found each other, deciding they belonged to one another. She wanted to believe Texas thought the same about them.