Days of Forgotten Past 6

Texas and Lappland were sitting together, shoulders touching as they enjoyed the warmth. The campfire with its surrounding log seating was a cocoon of warmth snaking its tendrils around all the occupants of the campsite. It was just the two of them. This new mission was meant to be important, but it wasn't meant to start until tomorrow. The others would join them then.

"Remind me why we're heading to the heart of Siracusa again." Lappland was shifting in her seat, hidden tension built in her frame. Or at least Texas figured Lappland thought she was hiding it. But they knew each other too well for there to be secrets kept between them.

At least, that was what she thought.

"It's okay if you're nervous Lapp. I am too."

"N-nervous. Of course not. I'm overwhelmed with excitement is all. Nothing like returning home to get my blood tingling."

Texas snorted at the blatant lie. "We're going to Siracusa because the leadership there has asked for the Texas pack to provide assistance. Gran can't go, so she said I should. Said it would be good experience for me. You didn't have to come. I know this brings back bad memories."

Lappland shook her head. "I couldn't let you go alone, even if the others will be taking the short track there tomorrow. Siracusa, well, it's dangerous."

"Every place can be dangerous by default Lappland."

"But not like this place, and not like the people there."

"You're talking about the Sicilians."

A pregnant pause. The fire continued to crackle in a low tune. There was a pack of opened marshmallows on the ground, two sticks lying next to it. The graham crackers and chocolate bars were all used up with their wrappers sitting in a neat pile. The leftover marshmallows would be eaten at their discretion later.

"Yes, the Sicilians are especially dangerous."

"Well, you're Sicilian and I think we've worked out well together so far." She thought of all the dates in the past year, the way they'd finally reached girlfriend status.

Lappland sighed. "Our situation is unusual Texas. Most times we may never see each other. And I'm sure you know what happens when you put a bull in a China shop . . . but imagine that there's two instead."

"So you worry about catastrophe?"

"Yes, both environmental and internal. We a walk a very thin line Texas. Relations between the wolves of Columbia and Siracusa have never been good, so we must do our best."

Texas could sense the unease in the air. Somewhere a cricket hummed in agreement and frog croaked. "I know. And I promise, nothing bad is going to happen. It's going to be okay Lappland."

Lappland's ears twitched. So close to one another their tails were overlapping, soft fur brushing one another like swaying ferns. "I hope so."

"And I know so." Texas answered with a lot more confidence than she actually felt. Siracusa was a land of unknown variables. There was no telling what or who they might encounter there. But she did have Lappland with her, a step in the right direction if anyone asked the sixteen year old alpha to be. "So come here."

Lappland moved forward willingly into her open arms. They traded kisses until it was time for bed. Their love was shared under the eye of the watchful stars.

****

Just as promised, the others were waiting right outside the boundary line. Eagle was analyzing one of his arrowheads while Hawke was ranting about some sort of complaint she had about a coworker. Bright was showing off the newest reflector in her shield to an admiring Aura. The smaller Lupo was running her fingers over the smooth, round surface. The shield was a bold gold with silver rings at the outer rim tinged with bronze. It gave off the feel of a burst of sun which was only aided by the clear center of the shield. Besides Lappland, Bright would probably blend in best in Siracusa. Her fur wasn't the standard white, gray or dark gray, but the blonde of it was so pale it almost appeared white.