Fog Shrouded Woods

Exusiai squinted harder, screwing her eyes so tightly they nearly shut. Even then it was impossible to see farther than the approaching tree line, long trunks rising in a seemingly endless approach to the sky hidden by fog and dense foliage. Texas had stopped the van for them to camp out the night prior . . . only for them to wake up to this. All of them stood in front of the vehicle, pondering what they were going to do next.

"How're we ever gonna drive through this mess?" Croissant voiced the thought running amuck in her brain, albeit with her own twist.

"Maybe we can find another path?" Bison proposed.

"Hmm, I don't think that'll work." Sora frowned.

"Nope. It won't." Lappland replied, she had been acting in higher spirits ever since they had reached the woods, even with their current predicament taken into account. I guess it's because she's used to the woods like this. Maybe it feels like she has come home. But asking felt like it would be a step too far. And there was no telling how Lappland would react.

"She's right." Texas affirmed. "The nearest clear path is several days out, and we can't waste anymore time with our travels. So we only have one choice."

"We have to go through." Exusiai murmured.

"That's right." Texas nodded.

"I'm not sure this is the choice we should be making." Suffering spoke up, still squinting at the fog ahead. "In terrain like this we won't know what lies ahead. Or, what might be waiting for us."

This valid concern had everyone shifting their gazes back to Texas. Exusiai knew her friend would remain resolute, as did Sora, Croissant and Lappland. So when Texas's response was just as firm as the first one, there was no surprise for them.

"We don't have a choice. And besides, anything in these woods isn't nearly as bad as what might come after." The ominous quality of those implications was read by all of them.

Lappland tried lightening the mood, tail swishing behind her. "But there's no need to worry, not with Texas and I here. Right Texas?"

"Right."

*****

Leaves crunched underfoot as the group slowly progressed through the woods. Texas resented having to leave the van behind, but at the very least chaining it to the ground and having the GPS locator in it would make it very hard for whatever pitiful fool tried to steal it. They had taken what little they could in backpacks and weapon cases. Her swords were strapped to her back, as were Lappland's. Only two of their party were missing —Mostima and Suffering— the pair having decided they would be better off taking the long way around.

For what reason, she could hardly guess, and quite frankly did not care.

Might be for the best. Coming in two separate waves could provide an advantage—

Her thoughts were cut off by a happy whine from Lappland, a hand tugging on her arm. "Don't you hear that! A creek's nearby!"

Texas chuckled. "I know. But we can't play today."

The few times they did take an off day from patrol were spent a few certain ways. Playing in the the creeks in the woods was one of those fun activities they spent together alone. The cold water was refreshing to the skin, the sweet kisses pressed against open expanses of skin even more so. This creek sounded smaller than the one they usually used, it's slightly unfamiliar rustle having her ears perk slightly to catch the differentiations of the water rushing over pebbles.

"You don't have to remind me." Lappland huffed, her pouting expression making Texas laugh lightly, the sound carried off by the growing wind.

"Are we almost there?" Sora asked as caught up to them. The blonde was unaccustomed to traveling in the dense woods, a twig sticking out of one of her pigtails. Texas reached up and grabbed it in a fluid motion. The spriggy thing dropped to the thick grass.