Days of Remembrance 8

Mud slopped on the tops of her running shoes as she sprinted. Lappland panted for air, running like her life depended on it. The city around her blurred as she approached closer to the line bordering civilization and wilderness. The air felt suffocating, her insides quaking with a strong sickness her body could not handle.

So it was no surprise when she found herself tripping.

Crash.

A root had snagged on her shoe. The ground came up to meet her, mocking Lappland as the wet dirt smeared on her bare legs. Lappland groaned as pain stabbed into her, eyes rolling as her surroundings spun.

"Gah! Ugh, that hurts . . ."

Lappland curled up, clutching her knee. Sleep yelled at her internally. It was barely even dawn; she normally slept during this time, tightly wound around Texas. Their habits were pleasant and lightened her soul. And ever since they started dating . . .

Perfection, it sang in her soul.

So there was no reason for her to be out here, at least, as far as Texas was concerned.

No.

The problem lay within her.

Lappland sat up, not caring that her legs rested in the mud. Even with all the muck and grime there was no missing the sight. Dark, jagged rocks stuck out from where they were embedded in her skin. After the trip to Siracusa, after she had been stabbed, things had been different.

But I didn't know why, not until last week.

Last week, when they had appeared.

******

Flashback . . .

Her world was filled with pleasant warmth. Darkness surrounded her as Lappland let her eyes remain closed. There was nothing quite like the joy of holding the one you loved in your arms. How easy it was to let all her worries melt away here.

"Lappland, wake up."

A soft prodding at her shoulder.

"Nnnh. Five more minutes." She tried to protest.

But knowing Texas, it was all for naught.

"Get up. We have things to be doing. Patrols, studies and stuff."

Stuff. Now that held a lot of possibilities. So suggestive . . . right up her alley.

Which was why she grinned at Texas as her eyes finally flew open, only to be greeted by her girlfriend's scowling face. She paid it no mind, using the opportunity to drink in the sight of Texas in nothing but a silk nightgown. With the heat wave they were experiencing, the dark wolf had been wearing them more and more. And she was enjoying every second of it. The little white bow of the blue gown was like a teasing gift.

"I like the sound of that. Just give me another sec."

She attempted to snuggle closer, curling her arms tighter around Texas's middle. The two of them had the tendency to switch positions often. Sharing warmth was great regardless of who was snuggling who, though a part of her preferred to be the receiving end. Something about receiving comfort left her at peace.

"Nhh. Stop." Texas protested, struggling in her grip to get out.

Lappland held on tighter, smirking. "Nah. Happy where I am."

Texas's small groan of discomfort had her freezing in place though, confounding words coming out in the next breath. "Whatever you have in your pocket keeps poking me."