Simping Time

Ears perked and alert Lappland sniffed the air. The city carried a pungent sent, like slushy rain water mixed with metal. None of the undertones of nature were to be found in this place of jacked up skyscrapers. The tall buildings made the people below as small as ants, the cars, buses and trains they got into like moving metal foliage sifting through the concrete grass. Neon lights were blinding at all the shop stands. Her eyes pulsed in irritation as she rubbed out the imprints they left in her brain.

"I thought you said we were going somewhere fun?"

The only thing that made this big city less daunting was the woman right beside her. Texas was a steady presence, her hand warm as their fingers interlaced with one another. The heat of their conjoined hands was an interlude of peace if there ever was one. Lappland had let it reassure her as they got out of the van, greeted by even more smells in this street of people bustling about. Though now, in front of all these vendors, apart of her yearned to stick closer to Texas. When they were younger it hadn't been uncommon for them to press close enough together to wear the same oversized shirt. But hand holding would have to suffice for now.

"Hah. And here I thought you liked shopping." Texas murmured.

They were on the outside of the main crowd currently, like fish waiting to step out from the river into the endless ocean. Lappland knew they would've been in the mess by now if not for her lagging. Her clean boots scuffed on the dirtied concrete as she dragged herself along. Saying she wasn't a people person would be a lie, but saying she was sociable wasn't exactly true either. Right in the middle of talking and quiet was where she would stay.

"I do, but . . ."

"It's a lot to take in," Texas said. Her voice was quiet, though she didn't have to strain to hear it, long since trained to pick up on the small rumblings of that voice she held so dear. The same could be said for Texas, who had told her before that the first voice she recognized was always Lappland's, even in a crowd of people she loved. They had been on a date then, a simple park clearing with just the wind and each other as company. She would trade this place for that one if she could.

"But you won't know if you like it unless you give it a chance?"

"Yeah."

"If you want we can go somewhere else." Texas gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

She wondered if this place with all its noise was a test. Infection was capable of a lot of horrible things. An extreme riling from too much sensory input was one of them. Those failings would haunt her in her darkest nightmares. She wasn't about to let Texas down again. Bearing the discomfort was the least she could do to put up for it.

"Yeah, I know. But I think I'd like to try the marketplace."

Not like we can go back to Penguin Logistics right now anyways. Texas had seemed reluctant to tell her about the LGD coming by, but she understood why, and appreciated the honesty. Texas made it clear it had nothing to do with her in no uncertain terms, yet it didn't mean the information stung. Because it did. Though it's not Texas's fault.

"Really?"

"Yeah. If I'm going to live here I should get use to all of, well, this." She waved her free hand at all of the stalls. There were no cars here besides what Texas had termed as food trucks. The meaty balm from them made her mouth water.

"Great! Is there anywhere you'd like to look first?" Texas asked.

Lappland angled her wolf ears over at the first food truck. It was at the edge of the crowd, an old Sankta waving around what looked to be a whole roast chicken. Mmm . . . Chicken. Texas followed the motion and chuckled.