Days of Remembrance 3

The air around them was tense. Gran had a firm grip on her arm, like she expected Lappland to bolt if she dared to let go for a single moment. And because of that grip she found her steps rushed, almost stumbling. Those long strides made by the older Texas were brusque, harried in a way she had not seen before. Lappland struggled to keep up with those driven steps as the cold air bit at her skin.

"C-could you slow down?" She tried asking.

Gran growled. "No."

"Ugh." Lappland winced as the grip on her tightened. If it wasn't for her sleeve she imagined those fingernails would have dug into her wrist. As it was there'd likely be bruising later. "Can you lighten up then? That hurts."

"Should've thought about that before you put yourself at risk." Gran muttered, though to her credit the wrist hold lessened marginally.

Lappland frowned. "You mean me staying back at the mansion?"

"What else would I have meant?" The response was a barely retained snap.

"I didn't mean to cause trouble. I just wanted to—"

"Help? Yes. I know. But just because Texas cares about you doesn't mean those wolves wouldn't hesitate to kill you." Gran told her with no remorse.

Lappland flinched at the truth. She had known her life was at constant risk —staying here with only Texas's blessing— but this was her home now. Texas had found her at her weakest moment, bringing the hollowed husk she became back to life. And she owed her for that, always would. The fact that Texas did it asking for nothing in return was all the more invaluable.

"I know."

"So why risk yourself? Why risk your life? Because I know my grand daughter doesn't want you dead, despite better judgement she cares deeply about you."

Hearing that little tidbit of information —from Gran no less— made her heart flutter. The compliment may have been backhanded but she took it. Gravel crunched as they kept moving. Her feet ached inside the boots they were shoved into. It had been a good thing they stopped by Texas's room before leaving. She wasn't sure how badly her feet were scuffed up, what with the scaling the roof and walking on concrete barefoot earlier. The occasional flash of red peeking out from the leather was not promising.

I'll have to wrap them later.

She'd be lying if she said she was looking forward to it.

"Because she didn't get to see her parents. What they looked like. And something tells me she'd want to know how they're doing." Lappland told her.

"I see. So that's why." Gran shook her head. "I can't say I don't understand, but still, you have to know you're own limits."

"So?"

"So don't do something so stupid again. I might not be there to save you next time." Gran muttered darkly.

"I don't think that doctor would've hurt me. Those scientists on the other hand . . ." There was something about them that smelt wrong. Death hung on white coats and illuminated goggles. It left her stomach churning.

Gran sighed. "The doctors would've been more merciful, yes. But they too would've turned you over to the Hunters once they realized what you were."

Lappland sighed sadly. This really wasn't the place she came from. The hostility, the threats, none of this would've been things her pack would have done to her. But no one said integrating would be easy. The fact of the matter was she was doing the unthinkable. To her knowledge, wolves had kept to their separate packs for centuries now. The times of integration —of marriage to create peace— had died out so long ago. What a shame too. Her father, despite living in the forest for most his entire life, advocated for an open minded world, wanting them to exchange ideas for the better of everyone. Yet it didn't seem likely now. His dream was but a whisper in the wind, funneling out of the ears of ignorant wolves.