Overlooking Files

Dr. Kal'tsit was looking over documents when Dr. Y/N came in, her eyebrows furrowed as she scrutinized two papers in particular. The room was chilled to allow 68 degrees Fahrenheit. A mug of steaming coffee sat on the desk top, the smell of coffee beans wafting throughout the small room. Unlike so many of the other offices, Dr. Kal'tsit rarely worked out of her own. She was usually down at the lab, in the med bay or at the control center so everything here went mostly unused. Except for the filing cabinet seated at the back, whose hinges rarely closed properly nowadays. But this was okay. No one dared to touch the sensitive information she kept anyways.

"Closure said you want to see me. Is there something wrong?" Doctor Y/N asked.

Kal'tsit hardly paid the other doctor a glance as they approached. She looked up now, her green eyes flitting over the mask. A part of her hated it, hated the thing that hid away the face she cared for so much. But, this was for the best. Doctor Y/N didn't even remember what they had before. All those memories had left. They would likely never return.

"Why does there have to be something wrong for me to ask to see you?" She said in a droll tone.

"Uh . . ." Doctor rubbed the back of their neck self-consciously. "I don't know. I guess because you usually don't act happy to see me."

She rolled her eyes. "Don't be ridiculous. Seeing you quells no emotions in me."

The lie would have been so blatant in the past, but she knew Doctor Y/N wouldn't call her out on it. Wouldn't even think to do such a thing. This Doctor wore the same face and acted so similarly, but they were not hers. They were still so different, free from the deepest stress in the way she could never be. There was saying about being in too deep. For a time, both of them had dug themselves into a nasty hole, a pit of war seemingly without end. Amnesia changed everything for Doctor Y/N however, especially in concerns to them.

"Oh, I see."

She doubted they did, but now was not the time for discussing their shared history. So she tapped her pen on the desk to drag attention back to the documents out in front of her. Texas and Lappland's files were kept as pristine as any of the other files she kept stored away. Photos of the two Lupus were clipped to the information page. When they had been taken was beyond her, just that they had been.

"Let's talk about what I called you in here for. As I'm sure you've noticed, Texas and Lappland have done well working together in the past weeks."

Doctor Y/N nodded. "Yes, I've seen how they fight together. They synergize really well. But why bring it up?" The past week or missions had served as sufficient proof.

Kal'tsit passed another paper to the Doctor. "Take a look at this for a moment."

She couldn't see those eyes, but she knew they were skimming the page thoughtfully. "Lappland and Texas have a special bonus when working in the trading center together? I never knew."

"Of course not, you just select the operators best suited for certain areas the second they pop up on your little list. The descriptions only determine just how much we profit off of their skills."

Doctor chuckled. "Sounds about right."

"So you understand what I'm getting at then?" Kal'tsit asked.

"Uh . . . I think. You want Texas and Lappland to work in the same trading post together?"

She folded her hands on the desk, letting the pen clatter on the desktop. For once the amnesiac was actually following along with what she was talking about. Just a little bit more like they were before. "Precisely."

"But isn't that a bad idea? Texas told us she didn't want to be around Lappland and I feel like having them work together in missions is already pushing it."

And there was that consideration the Doctor was known for. She was glad to see it. After so many years of commanding, war had worn Doctor down to the point where they struggled to care about the little details, or even personal relationships. Swimming in guilt was no way to live. "Rhodes Island is a pharmaceutical company focused on improving the world for the Infected and searching for a cure. Personal relationships shouldn't be detrimental to our plans Doctor. Surely you know?"

"Um . . . I do know we need to focus on our goals but, it's just . . . shouldn't we care about our operators too? Their well-being should be important to us too. What's the point of this mission if we have to sacrifice something so vital?"

"Doctor. What you and I consider vital are very different things."

"Apparently so."

Kal'tsit couldn't see it, but she knew the Doctor was clenching their jaw. It was what they always did when something she said gritted on their nerves. Perhaps she was being icy, dispassionate towards people who only sought to help them achieve their goals. Maybe she should care more. But caring was never my intention, not after everything that's happened. Someone has to be realistic; someone has to carry all the extra responsibility. Doctor can't lighten the load.

"I don't think giving them some solitary time working together will result in anything bad. They've proven already how cordial they can be, so trust in them," Kal'tsit said.

"I do trust them, I just worry. Don't you?" Doctor asked.

She tilted her head thoughtfully. At one point maybe. Long ago, back when Rhodes Island was under a different name and different leadership. She and Doctor were younger then, naive to the severity of conflict in Terra.

"I did. Put Texas and Lappland together in the trading post tomorrow." It wasn't a question, nor was it a command. Kal'tsit stared at the Doctor imploringly, hopeful they would make the right choice.

"And if something bad happens? What then?"

She waved him off. "Then we'll handle it. Don't worry."