Poised to Strike

Two weeks after Lappland arrived at Rhodes Island. . .

Every part of her body ached with pain as she panted. Texas lay limply on the ground, her sword gripped tightly in her right hand. The artificial lighting of the room made her eyes ache just staring at them. White walls surrounded them on all sides, a few posters covering the walls. The banners did nothing more than add a blare of color to the room, the words on them hardly ever read by any of the Operators. Her focus wasn't on them, nor was it on the cold tile underneath her, it's iciness jabbing into her skin.

No, it was on something else, or should she say someone else.

Above her stood a woman much like herself but so, so different. White ears tipped in darkness were shot up out of her skull. They were surrounded by almost frantic white hair, the strands poking out with no direction. A scar ran down the middle of one of her eyes. Somehow the wound hadn't blinded her; Texas remembered putting it there. Those days had been so long ago. Lapland was smiling down at her. Gray eyes glittered with a manic look. She could remember back when there used to be kindness on her pale face amidst the fury of a cold-blooded killer. Those memories made her heart ache with sorrow.

But Texas doubted those moments could ever return.

"Ah Texas, and here I thought you were going to put up a fight. Hehehe!" Lappland let out her eerie laugh. There had been a time she would've found the sound funny, or even adorable. Now it just sent chills down her spine. Her heart felt like it was going to jump out of her chest with every passing moment.

She stared defiantly back up at Lappland, her expression fierce with anger. The wolf inside her howled. With anger, with rage, with exhilaration, with pain . . . she was unsure which one was winning out inside her.

"Not going to say anything are you? I know you hardly talk, but this takes it to another level wouldn't you say. Oh Texas, you really have become a coward, haven't you?" That word made her grit her teeth together, holding back the snarl building up in her chest.

Her mind thought miserably of the events that led up to this moment. Texas had tried to put a stop to it, to not allow things to go down this path. In the end, it had been all for not. And now you're going to die here, by Lapland's sword.

The circle hilt was gripped tightly in the other operator's hand, the blade shooting down to prod at Texas's cheek. She couldn't see it, but she could taste the trickle of blood trailing down to her cheek. Some distant part of her knew Lappland wouldn't scar her face, that she was just toying with her. After all, it's been what she's been doing since she arrived.

Texas could remember the day well, just like she could remember the day they first met. Things had been so different then. Like another world entirely.