Days of Forgotten Past 1

The first time Texas met Lappland, she'd been ten years old. Contrary to whatever anyone else might think, they did not meet during a battle. Blood was still on the white wolf's hands however.

Texas was at the estate home her family had lived in for hundreds of years. The structure was ancient but stable, existing back during the times where all wolves would wander the world nomadic and free. To her Father, the home signaled the beginning of a newer, civilized era. But as she walk the granite green halls and glanced up at the mostly white-washed walls, some part of her couldn't help yearning for something else. Just a taste of the wild world other wolves were still experiencing out there somewhere.

Being a member of the upstanding Texas family had just about as many pros as it did cons. People always treated them with respect, which was nice. No one in their community —out of fear or reverence she was unsure. These high standards weren't always the best thing though. Texas was held in a high-level of regard. Almost none of the other children her age were allowed to play with her. Friends just weren't worthwhile if they couldn't offer you something financial in return someday. The girls and boys she was allowed to hang out with were mostly snobby brats. Texas wanted nothing to do with them. And with her parents so busy most days, she was left to her own devices.

Like her, the house felt pretty empty sometimes. Hence why she snuck out that crisp Wednesday morning.

The streets were covered in fallen leaves as the winter season was fast approaching. She was dressed up to prepare for the chill, her heavy blue coat filled with a puffy cotton lining on the inside. People waved to her in passing, including the miserable Infected. There were hardly any of these people living in her hometown, the ones that did were mostly shunned by others.

Texas never understood why. They seemed okay to her.

Brick structures made up most of the buildings. Wind slammed down on them only to bounce off harmlessly. There was little traffic on the road today. Cars acted cordial as they crossed intersections, no loud honking to make her ears ache. The sky was a mix of blue-white, clouds all smushed together like a weird acne cream.

Sniff. Sniff.

Texas paused at a long alleyway. Her ears perked up on top of her head, knocking down the hood she let partially obscure her face from view. There was a strange sound coming from the dank path. Rats scuttled between the many garbage bins. Their eyes were beady and their teeth sharp. The chittering noise they let out wasn't from sniffling, so the source could not be them. Her parents would never want her to go into such a dirty place. Texas ignored their words prancing around in her mind as she stepped inside and began to walk.

It didn't take her long to find the source. The girl was sat down with her back pressed up against the wall. She was rather pale, matching the white hair and gray tipped ears she had. Her eyes were a vibrant gray like the silverware her mother polished each week out of what she claimed to be necessity. A coldness leaked from her like a pale ghost. For whatever reason the young girl, around her age, had been here for sometime now. A sword sat in her lap, the sheen of it catching the faint light of the sun as it peeked out from behind the clouds. The thin coat she wore looked to be for warmer seasons, as did her shorts.

But those weren't the what really caught her attention. Blood coated the girls legs and arms, a smudge of it left across her cheek too. It was old, crusted over awhile ago. A bandage was wrapped around the other girl's wrist. Even so, Texas could still see the faint lines of scratches peeking out from underneath.

"Who are you?" She asked. "I've never seen you around before."

Apparently those were the wrong words to say, because in the next minute she was slammed into a wall. Her back reverberated with pain, a few black spots dancing across her vision briefly before clearing away. The white wolf was staring at her with an unreadable expression, the tips of her incisors poking out of her mouth like she had yet to grow into them. They looked sharp enough to tear her throat out if the other girl wished. Her own incisors had yet to transition into adulthood. They were hidden behind the flesh of her mouth, unavailable for threatening grins.