The Way Back

At first, all she knew was darkness.

It was unescapable, impossible to see anything beside herself and waves upon waves of black. The endless abyss assaulted her on all sides, making Lappland feel totally and utterly lost. She tried to gauge her surroundings, get a sense of the why and how she was here to no avail. Nothing in this place made sense, including herself.

How did I get here?

The more she thought about it, the more it made her head ache.

The less things made sense, the worse the ache became.

"Is anybody out there?" She called out, sitting up. Lying on the ground had been fine at first, cold seeping into her skin, but she grew uncomfortable after a minute. Her back felt an itch at all the goosebumps, the sensation a recent familiarity she couldn't place.

Another minute passed with no response she got up. And that was when she finally noticed it.

In front of her stood a small girl. Her silver eyes were wide and curious, missing the pain and experience of years to come. Her white tail swished out from the opening in her flowing white dress. Little wolf ears swiveled happily, searching for sounds unknown to the older wolf. But it was the smile the girl wore that caught Lappland off guard the most. So happy, so carefree, so innocent.

I haven't been like that since—

No. She wasn't going to finish this trail of thought. The memory of burning screams and lungs filled with ash was never going to stop being heart wrenching, nor was the lingering recollection of the way she'd held her parents close. They'd been dead, slaughtered by people uncaring of their customs and laws. She'd slaughtered every last one of them. Justice paid in full.

"Come with me." Other Lappland said. If she thought anything of the smears of red on Lappland's jacket or the dark shards embedded in her leg, she said nothing, just turned and started walking. Wordlessly, Lappland followed.

If this was a dream she'd best see where it was going.

****

The darkness exploded with light on her second footfall. Landscape altering into an all too familiar place, where things went so wrong. But it wasn't burning now, and the little girl next to her didn't seem to care either way as she strolled right over. She walked up those rickety steps with determination, fingernails dragging up the railing in the slow, subtle way, fingering out the grooves and slotting into the markings made by other wolves who came before.

"Where are you going?" Lappland was hesitant to follow. It had been ages since she'd been to this place, and frankly she was no longer sure she was welcome here.

The little Lappland didn't seem perturbed by her question, only amused. "To see Texas of course. Don't you want to see her?"

She shifted in place. The steps in front of her were covered in the same old white paint. It flecked at the corners, a reminder that nothing lasted forever. How easy it would be to put her feet on those steps again, stride back in like she belonged. But this place doesn't exist anymore. You made sure of that. She didn't start the fire, but if not for her it never would've happened in the first place.

"Well, yes but—"

The little girl wasn't taking no for an answer. Small, delicate fingers latched around Lappland's right wrist. The tug was surprisingly firm despite the obvious difference in strength. Lappland found herself being pulled however reluctantly.

"No buts. You want to see Texas, so you're going."

Well, couldn't argue with that logic.

The steps creaked as they ascended, the sound a familiar echo in her memory. She studiously avoided the panel that was near broken. Houston had stumbled into it one too many times. The porch was the same as ever, but the porch swing that normally rocked lightly with the wind was eerily still. She tried not to think about what that and the glowing golden sword resting on the cushions meant. The left-handed grip spoke of pain without saying a word. Blood pooled at the tip. Lappland could remember the liquid sluicing down to her chin. Absently, she touched the scar over her eye. Her fingertips were free of the it. Something in her settled.