Admissions of Guilt

A/N: So what was supposed to be a simple discussion turned into this long winded chapter filled to the brim with emotion, angst, caring and comfort. I can't say I'm not pleased with the result. Let me know what y'all think.

*********

It was pitch black save for the city lights when Lappland, Texas and the others piled into the PL van. She looked out the window to see the criminals being hauled forcibly into police cars by the LGD. Swire was with them, barking orders out like no one's business. While she wasn't a van of the loud sirens by any means, the atmosphere in the van was anything but pleasant. Exusiai and Croissant behaved like she expected: tired and happy for another job well done, so it wasn't those two that brought out a sense of worry. Texas had refused to look at Sora ever since the pair had joined as reinforcements earlier. The air between them was so brittle it could have cracked. Lappland didn't know what to think of this, and judging by the way Exusiai and Croissant were frowning worriedly —about time they picked up on the tension the pair were sharing— it was nothing good.

"I never thought wolves would get so angry about something like this. Maybe they had too much moonshine? You know, cause they're wolves and a few of them acted drunk . . . I'll stop now." Croissant said with a sigh.

Exusiai's halo was a gold circular beam midair, it stayed out regardless of how many times she shifted in one stop. The seat belt rankled at her blood stained white t-shirt. Texas had dutifully checked her partner over for injuries the second she'd seen it, but the Sankta had truthfully assured that the blood was not her own.

"It's too bad the concert was cut short. I know you were planning to play a new song at the end." Exusiai told Sora.

Sora shrugged. "Yeah. I guess. I suppose it would've been a waste anyways." Forlorn amber eyes were flickering over to Texas. The dark haired wolf kept her focus on the road. She couldn't fool her though. Lappland knew she had to be aware of the stares sent her way. An alpha is always aware. And Texas is an alpha, no matter how she begs to differ.

"How so?" She asked.

The other members of PL, aside from Texas, turned to shoot her questioning looks. It was as if they were surprised to see her taking any interest in Sora's career at all. And to be fair, she supposed they had a point. The sole interaction she had with the pretend wolf had ended badly. They likely weren't in the mood for a repeat performance, not all covered in dirt and grime with would likely be sleep deprivation rearing it's ugly head the next day.

"What? I'm just curious to know why."

Sora shook her head tiredly. "It just wouldn't. That song, it was meant for someone important to me, someone I felt things deeply for. But-but they don't return my feelings."

Oh.

It was as if a lightbulb went off in her head. During the battle, Lappland had kept Texas in her periphery almost the entire time. So she had seen Sora getting close to Texas, seen the dark haired woman help the idol up onto her feet. Had seen what appeared to be Sora inching closer . . . but that had been all. Suddenly, she was glad to not have seen more. If Sora had confessed at such a horrible time and done something Texas would not have wanted . . .She better not have. The thought made her stomach roil with an almost toxic bile.

A growl rumbled. It took her a moment to realize where it came from.

Texas's grip on the steering wheel tightened, white knuckles made more pale by a shaft of moonlight pouring in through the windows. The buildings they zoomed by were lit with neon sings and reflective cords to attract customers like moths to flame. "Well, I guess that's unfortunate. For future reference though, might I suggest not posing a confession when we're in the midst of a battle."

The Untold Story of Texas and Lappland (Arknights)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें