What Went Wrong

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay?" Bison asked.

Croissant shook her head, feeling the piercing gazes of Ch'en, Swire and Hoshiguma bearing down on her back. The others had left easily enough, but Bison was different. He didn't seem keen to leave her to deal with the LGD. To be fair, no one wanted to deal with them. Not even Texas. Or Emperor. Where was their Penguin boss when she needed him? Nowhere to be found apparently.

"Its better if we all get this over with as succinctly as possible. The more of us here the less clear we'll come off." At Bison's doubtful frown she continued. "I promise I'll be just fine. You trust me right?"

"Yes, I do." He affirmed.

"Then go upstairs, take a shower. We can chat later."

"I'll hold you to that," Bison said seriously, giving her one last squeeze on the shoulder before walking off. It was only once he disappeared from view that she went back to the LGD members, her footsteps as nonchalant as she could make them.

Ch'en regarded her with an expressionless face, her calm veneer rarely broken. "I suppose you'll be ready to answer questions now?"

"Look, if this is about what happened back on the street—"

"It isn't." Swire huffed. "We want to know why you have to unregistered Infected working here."

Hoshiguma was tense beside her two friends; Croissant doubted she wanted to be here either. The other LGD members were busying themselves with equipment, machines buzzing as some exited to go out on yet another patrol to who knew where. All this activity in the lobby came off as highly strange to her. She didn't think this building had ever been so occupied before.

"Lappland is a member of Rhodes Island and a liaison to Penguin Logistics. As for Mostima, she's been a working member of Penguin Logistics for several years now." It irked her she was unable to recall the exact number of years. It's not like she's here often to begin with. It was true. In all the years she had worked at PL, Croissant had met Mostima a small handful of times. None of them had been all that pleasant.

It's like she shows up whenever there's trouble.

"You don't know the exact number of years?" Swire frowned.

Croissant shook her head. "No, I'm sorry, but I don't. She had been working here longer than me however, if that's any indication."

"Never mind that. I'm just surprised Emperor didn't inform us about the situation." Ch'en told her. "As enigmatic as he can be, this doesn't seem like the type of thing you should just leave out."

She raised an eyebrow. "Like you forgot to mention that you'd abandon your partners in the midst of a danger zone without a second thought." I think Rhodes Island should've been made aware of that.

"Why you—" Swire was growling.

"You're not wrong. I've already talked to Sora about it, and I realize now that my course of action was inappropriate given the situation."

Oh do you now? But she held back that little barbed response. Ch'en's expression was one of sincerity, and she had a hard time being cruel to someone who was allowing some vulnerability to shine through.

"Oh. I suppose that's good. But still, I'm not sure how much I'm going to trust you."

If it were up to her the LGD wouldn't even be here.

It was hard enough dealing with the police normally . . . having them up in Penguin Logistics Headquarters was just plain awkward. But what Emperor wants Emperor gets. Even if it's at the expense of the rest of us.