Chilling Reflection

A/N: Soooo I managed to get Skadi after like 70+ pulls and our ex-wife (I say jokingly) on my alternate account. However, I don't really know how to use Skadi quite yet, but from what I can tell her skill set is a weird mix of Angelina and DeepColor. I also don't know how to use Kal'tsit, so advice would be appreciated!

******

The night was cold.

Texas let the chill sink into her bones, keeping her thoughts grounded amongst the faintest sounds of her friends' sleepy rumblings. Because of how dangerous the woods could be a night watch had been set up. Her vigil had already gone over the three hours she was meant to be out here. The fire was a dying ember before her, little sparks floating floating into the darkness.

"You should've swapped out by now."

"I know."

Lappland sat down next to her. Well, next to her was the wrong description. There was an ample two feet between them on the log, something Exusiai would tease as a record since they had gotten back together. Texas welcomed the other wolf's presence, tracing Lappland's profile out of the corner of her eye. The flames continued to crackle in the space before them. The creek and its rushing water had long since left their hearing. It had been sad to say goodbye to it, like a long overdue reunion cut short. But they had to keep moving.

"You know, there's no need to be nervous."

"Hmm . . . that's what you said our first time too."

Lappland snorted, though Texas recognized the flush on her pale face was not from the fire's heat. "Of all the things you might bring up . . ."

Their first time. Right before everything went so horribly wrong. It was both an answer and a prayer. A way to become one with all their feelings. Love swam between them that night, as it did the many other times they participated in their "fun". But her nervousness now was completely different in comparison to back then.

"Well, I have to keep things interesting. Be the unpredictable one once in awhile."

Lappland shook her head. "You say that like you aren't unpredictable yourself."

Texas tilted her head thoughtfully. "You think so?"

"I know so. Terrible fighters use the same patterns over and over, or are so clumsy they fall flat on their face. Not you."

Never you was the unspoken sentiment.

"True. I save the clumsiness for you."

Another snort. "Now you're just being rude. Whatever happened to my polite girlfriend."

"She was left in Lungmen." Texas responded shortly.

"Oh. So I can expect this Texas to be blunt?"

At this point she knew the other was teasing. Texas was perfectly capable of being blunt regardless of where she was. "Sure. So I think you should head back to bed."

A small, petulant whine. "But Texas, who will keep me warm while I sleep if not you?"

Texas chuffed. "I should've known. All these years you've just been using me for my body heat."

"Oh. You figured this out just now, hmm? Guess there's no point in holding back anymore then."

It was easy to slip into this teasing banter, let the worry slip away with the rippling flames before her. Wood clunked as it met it's heated fate. Lappland scooted closer, pressing up against her side with an exaggerated nuzzle that went from her stomach up to the crook of her neck. Only when the wet lick of tongue pressing against her visible skin did Texas pull back with a glare that held no real heat.