Wake Up Call

Lappland felt like moaning when she was dragged to the Control Center at 6 in the morning. She kept her mouth shut only because she doubted it would do her any good. Her companion was a rather short girl who strangely called herself Grani. Decked out in some makeshift police gear, Grani was chattering away about something or other. Lappland was still sleepy, hardly paying any attention to her even as the doors to the Control Center swung open.

"—early so I figured it was best to get to work. Oh, Lappland you're here! Thanks for grabbing her on the way Grani!" Doctor gave Grani an approving nod.

"Of course! Always happy to help Doc."

"Can someone tell my why my sleep was interrupted?"

Lappland stretched out her back, letting out a yawn that made her jaw ache from being stretched so wide. Besides the Doctor, herself and Grani, hardly anyone else occupied the Control Center. It appeared to be too early for them as well; Amiya was hunched over a cup of coffee, an equally sleepy Durin curled up against her leg snoring away with her hands wrapped securely around a pillow.

"Oh, well I was just explaining to Amiya that I woke up early. I figured now would be as good a time as any to do some resource farming and thought you might be interested." Doctor explained.

"Huh? What's resource farming?"

"Sometimes Rhodes Island needs certain objects for certain things like boosting morale or providing upgrades and such." Amiya told her, blue eyes blinking slowly.

"Huh. Alright then. What are we farming? I assume that the five of us aren't going alone are we?" Lappland asked. It was hard to tell what was going on with so little information.

"Oh, just a place with a lot of pits for a certain someone to fall into." She couldn't be certain, but it sounded like Doctor was smiling. "As for whose coming, it'll be . . ." Lappland barely listened to any of the names, up until the last one. "and Texas."

"Texas is coming!?" Her tail wagged excitedly.

Amiya frowned doubtfully in her direction. "Dokutah, are you sure they should be . . .?"

Doctor [Y/N] waved her off. "Of course they'll be fine Amiya. Operators know how to act on duty, and besides, it's not like we're not use to a little craziness from time to time. Don't you agree Durin."

"Zzzzz . . . Zzzzz . . . Sure I wanna sleep . . ." Durin said in between snores.

"Haha I guess Durin can sleep in then. Grani go grab hmm, who should I ask for? Any ideas Amiya?"

"Well, we need another ranged operator right? And if Texas is coming we might as well grab Exia too!" Amiya said. Lappland tried not to pay attention to the way the bunny was staring at her with caution.

"Sounds good. Cliffheart, Shaw and FEater always enjoying working with members of Penguin Logistics." Doctor was saying.

"I'll be right back then Doctor! See you guys at the terminal!" Grani said before running off. Her visor was tilted down over her head, determination in her eyes. The doors swooshed open and closed at her departure. Durin yawned but otherwise did not stir as Amiya pulled her leg away, muttering about the trail of drool left behind.

"On that note, let's get going shall we. The Specialists are already waiting."

*****

A/N: I know this chapter was short but . . . the next one will be long again! I have a feeling each of the chapters will in general be getting progressively longer as the story continues. Hope y'all are enjoying it (I bet you guys can guess who the boss of the next mission will be 😉).