Making Way

The day had started out just like any other.

Well, if you discounted the newest occupant of the building.

Texas found herself working in the kitchen that morning, flipping eggs and watching the bacon sizzle on the pan. Exusiai hummed from across the granite countertop island, stirring away at the pancake mix. The Angel was very particular about how the pancakes were made. Just the right amount of flour and water and . . . she sniffed the air. Amidst the smells of meat there was the sweet scent of chocolate. A bag of the sweet chips sat open on the countertop, half of it poured into the batter.

"I thought you wanted blueberry pancakes?"

Exusiai had been adamant about it last night, among other things. She tried not to think about the hour spent by Lappland's beside, singing her to sleep. The process hadn't taken long by any means, but she found herself lingering there, watching as the wolf she knew for years slumbered. There was a special peace to Lappland whenever she was asleep. If Texas tried hard enough, she could almost imagine that was just another night for them back when they were children. Lappland had needed comfort then, why should this be any different?

But it is different. You told yourself not to get involved. It'll only hurt more.

So why was it so hard to follow her own advice?

"Eh. You've been stressed lately. Figured using chocolate chips was the least I could do," Exusiai told her, setting the bowl down to pour out the sticky mixture into the awaiting pan. With how spacious the kitchen was, the two had more than enough room to keep apart. But they found themselves at arms length regardless, monitoring the massive stove as they went about tasks.

Steam rose into the air. The pots and pans hanging as decorations overhead clicked as they touched briefly. The ceiling fan was turned on, keeping both of them cool. The granite countertops were ignorant of the nearby heat furnacing from the stove, retaining the same low temperature they'd had all along. Croissant cast them an idle glance from the couch, ignoring the tv. The defender was sprawled amongst the cushions like any other morning. The familiarity was pleasing to her troubled mind, but Texas still found herself still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"I . . . Thanks."

"Don't mention it. And relax, there's nothing to worry about," Exusiai said, her easygoing personality as apparent as ever.

Texas shook her head. "I wish I could be as confident as you. How do you always know when things will be okay?"

Exusiai shrugged. Her amber eyes were focused on the pancakes studiously, but her words indicated an attention reserved to something else. Most people would likely never know what a good multitasker she was, but Texas would always appreciate it. A useful skill to have both in and out of battle.

"I don't."

"Then how . . .?" Texas trailed off, unsure how to voice the question.

"Sometimes you just have to have faith."

Texas frowned. "This is some angel thing, isn't it?"

"Heh. Contrary to popular belief, not all angels are faithful." Exusiai's halo winked with light. The sheen came from her mostly, the rest from the light fixtures above. Texas had always wondered if the wings and halo could shut off. She didn't dare ask however, lest it be a silly question that should've been obvious from the start.

"You're thinking about Mostima, aren't you?"

"Hey, we're talking about what ails you, remember? We can save my dilemmas for another day," Exusiai said.